a good dv cam?

There is no best camera out there. There may be a camera, however, that fits your needs better than others.

What you should do, is think about the kinds of controls (do you need manual focus, etc) you need (I say need in the fact that you can't do what you want without these things), what kind of sensor you want (CCD (1 chip or 3) vs CMOS), what format you want (SD or HD), etc. Now think of extra things you might want, but don't really need.
From that, start looking at cameras and see what fits your specs and price range. Keep looking around and try and get the best bang for your buck.

Re: a good dv cam?

director15 said:
What is a good dv. cam that i could use to film shorts with that is four hundred dollars or below.

Another thing to think on regarding this whole "which camera?" line is . . where is the industry going, camera operation, purpose, style, etc.

For us this was the real meat and potatos of the subject. We liked the HDV's, the Sony's, and the JVC's. Then we visited some broadcast studios, visited and worked on some decent indy film projects, and discovered that the extremely low budget and lesser pro groups had those latter cam types and styles just mentioned above, but on the real pro sets and stations we found Panasonic and DVX100B's and HVX200's, except of course for broadcast studio which had upper end Panasonic's. In fact, out of 14 studios we sought, all except one had Panasonic DV's and the one with Sony had old betacam's and were looking to switch.

Lastly, we then bought our three cameras all Panasonic (as stated above) and found that our studio got the work while our commrades who formerly had the work began loosing more and more of it while we continued to grow at higher prices than the competitor. And of course through use and application, we found out why, quality, operation, output image, and ease of use, although not the cheapest by any means.

Hope that helps and if not feel free to hit me.

Network Sponsors

Back