3 ideas to write an engaging script

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
One of the main challenges that you need to overcome when writing your script is to make it engaging. It can be difficult when you are just starting, because you do not have the experience to help you out. But don’t worry! Here are 3 ideas that might help you to write an engaging script for your film!

1. You are not writing a book, you are writing a script

The re is a major difference between writing a script and writing a book. One of the mistakes that beginner make is having the same approach towards a script that they would have towards a book. There are a few fundamental differences between the two and the most important one is time. In a book, you have the time to introduce your story and characters to the reader, who will gladly spend his time reading the first chapters. In a script, however, you only have a few minutes to introduce your story and engage your audience.

2. Before writing your first script, read as many scripts as you can

If great book writers are great readers, the same applies to great screenwriters. Before writing your first script, analyze the work of others. Think about what they did right and take notes. The more scripts you read, the easier it will be for you to understand the structure of a script and find ways to engage your audience.

3. Think visual

When writing your script, keep in mind that it will later become a movie, allowing your audience to see the action, not to read the action. A long complex dialogue might be a great idea when you write it but it can become a boring scene when you film it. Try to write your script by constantly visualizing the scenes.

I am happy that I have read this post before starting to work on my first script. I have always thought that the script is like a book. I have never been so wrong in my entire life it seems.

I have seen so many young filmmakers have the error of writing a script as if they would have been writing a novel. There is a clear difference between the two and I am glad that you brought that up.

Network Sponsors

Back