writing content

C

Casanova04

when i'm writing, i go into graphic detail. should i leave these details out or can i use them without being under fire when i finally make the project?

If you're writing for yourself, then do what you want. If you're writing for other people, I'd keep it short and to the point: you can, say, spend five pages describing your locations in detail, but it's not required by the plot then the production design people will tear the pages out and throw them away.

writing content

I think a good rule of thumb to try to follow is to take something out and see if it effects your plot or story, if it doesn't then there's really no need for it to be there. Everything you include should have a payoff and everything should be essential to moving the story forward.

details are great... but you can put those somewhere other than the script... I like to keep a note pad handy so that I can write those types of notes down by scene as I write.

Details are fine if they are important to the story. For example, telling us that a pocket watch has "the telling gold lace, and in-laid diamond studs" can be important if those facts later tell us something, like that the watch was owned by Louis IVX of France, who was a student of the occult and fornilogical, and knew that this watch held the power of the universe inside. That would be a good use of detail. However, something like:

Todd pulled up to his giant red-brick home on San Remo drive in his white 2005 Mercedes Benz, as it rolled up the fanciful brickwork driveway. He opens the door and slams it shut, as he quickly unties his blue and gold Paisley tie, and begins to rip off his charcoal brown Armani suit jacket, as he runs up to the royal-blue front door and...

This just gets boring, takes up space, and frankly, nobody cares. Besides, in the final film, this shot will last about three seconds. Would you rather spend 120 pages describing the furniture in detail, or 120 pages about how this guy is going to destroy a Beijing prison full of the rare blue-chaffed cuckhold flamingoes? If you were a reader in Hollywood, which would you rather read?

Instead, it should read:

Todd pulls up quickly and runs into the house.

It all depends on how necessary it is to the story. One of the things I do to decrease this kind of detail - leave out all adjetives and adverbs. Your writing will be more concise and a lot better.

Network Sponsors

Back