white balancing

Kapil Raj

How often we have to white balance a video camera?want to do white balancing whenever we change the filter and switch-on the camera?

From a creative point of view... You should white balance at the start of every shot. This way all of your shots are white balanced corectly. Hope that helped answer your question. And incase you didn't already know you should white balance onto somthing white under the same lighting conditions as your subject... not just infront on the camera.

you NEED to white balance everytime you in a differnt lighting situation. change lights, white balance. Keeps your white consistant. If you already shot and need to go, add some magenta in post :)

sorry, If you already wrapped production and are in Post, Color Correct the footage by fake baking it. Add some Magenta using the basic color corrector filter.

It's not the problem of understanding what you wrote (thanks for putting it another way BTW) but... I must be missing something, you are aware english is not my native language - why the heck do you want to add magenta on an image you know nothing about ???? :shock:

OK... No, I'm sorry to say this is not a good advice.

You can't just say "if you have a wrong balance, add some magenta", it's like if someone would say "I'm not sure the meal will be fine" and you would advice "add some salt ! " even though you don't know what was cooked !

If your balance is wrong the image may be bluish (if the color temp was higher than what your camera was set for) so that you will have to cut blue (so that you become more yellowish) and a bit of green (as to get a little bit magenta, but far less than yellow). Or it maybe yellowish/orange a bit (if the color temp was lower than what your camera...) so that you need to add blue, a bit of green and cut some red (so that you get more bluish/green)...

Magenta is not the opposite of yellow. Blue is. Magenta is the opposite of green.

Anyway, if you missed your balance, correct in post. comma. This should be the best answer...

Network Sponsors

Back