What is the best way to clean and keep a lens clean?

lotrfan

I'm frustrated by the fact that using whatever cloths and solutions I have available, they all leave residue and/or lint on the surface of my lenses. If you have a particularly effective way of getting your lens super-clean or any suggestions, please help! Thanks!

The main problem is that I need to get some shots of the sun, and that poses a problem with dirty lenses.

The local photography shop sells polymer lens wipes that don't leave any residue or lint behind and work great for me. Find a local shop (hopefully more than just a ritz) and ask the owners, any decent shop should have them.

Residue left behind is most often caused by using too much solution. In most cases, half of a spritz from the nozzle is more than enough to adequately clean the surface of the lens. However the lint or 'particles' left behind by various lens tissues/cloths is very normal and the best way to combat this is by using compressed air. Any photography shop sells compressed air in canisters; however BE CAREFUL when using compressed air to blow off the particles on the lens as you could damage the glass if you allow the air to come out of the can at too high a pressure. You can also end up inadvertently adding more residue to the lens as too high a pressure will cause the Tetrafluoroethane to come out of the nozzle in liquid form before it has a chance to vaporize. There are debates about whether or not to use compressed air on lenses and the arguments range from 'always' to 'never'. However, if used properly, compressed air is effective at removing 'soft' particles. You should NEVER use compressed air on a lens if there any hard particles near the lens (sand, dirt, etc).

Network Sponsors

Back