Shooting live concert, best way to get clean sound?

CheetinCheeto

I'm shooting a live concert, and i'm looking for the best way to capture the sound. Suggestions so far have been hooking camera straight into mixing board. Any other suggestions out there would be really helpful. Thanks. 4 cameras total, boom mic optional.

If you can't plug into the sound board (This really is the best option) then place your sound recording in the back of the venue. Make sure you have a good muff on your mic to keep from the lows distorting too much. You can throw one of your cameras back there to get a wide shot as well. In the back there it will get you a pretty good mix of the highs and lows without anything being too overbearing or distorted.

Thanks for the reply. With the sound coming out of the sound board, do I have to lower or raise it, or leave as is, generally speaking.

I would think the board would be able to adjust that for you, but if you have a mixer that has a line input, that couldn't hurt I would think.

Either way, you should theoretically be able to normalize in post, but if you can do it right before post, that would be best I would think.

Okay, having shot numerous live shows I can tell you that the best way, period is to convince the bands to invest in renting a digital board that can output full mixes... :D Okay, hey, I know this is the real world; I've only been that lucky once and that was a venue-thing. Ralck's right about setting up in the back, definitely a good idea. If you've got a few good mics and the space then throw out a fair selection of 'em. If you've got access to a field mixer run them through that rather than your camera and sync the sound in post.
If you come off the house board then plead with them for a separate aux send. Try to get one that's pre-fader and during sound check stand there with a pair of headphones and get it balanced to your liking. The key about doing this is arranging way before hand with whoever's running FOH. Having run FOH countless times I can tell you that the last thing I want to have to deal with is some photo or camera guy coming up to me saying 'can I plug into your board?'
Figure out what board they're using before hand, determine all the various ways of coming off the board, and have cabling solutions and a sales pitch prepared for every one of them. Don't expect to get a great mix though, no matter what you do... Mixing sound for an audience and expecting it to sound good on tape rarely turns out more than, 'okay'.
And even if you do pull a feed off the board... set a microphone or two up also as a back up. It very well might just sound better.
I say this because when you're mixing a live show generally the guitar amps onstage are providing alot of the sound for the guitars and you really only flesh out the guitars in the mix, whereas the vocals and drums tend to end up overpowering in the mix, leaving you with an audio track that sounds incredibly weak. And isn't fixable.

Hope this helps...

Network Sponsors

Back