What is the best build for filmmaking?

István Kovács

I wish to upgrade my computer and I started researching online. I found many discussions and rumors but the only thing they did was confuse me. What should I consider when building a PC for filmmaking? Do I need more RAM's, a better processor or should I invest in the newest high tech video card? Which matters more, GPU or CPU?

What exactly do you wish to do with this PC? What is the quality of the footage that you are filming? Do you wish to create 3D animations and After Effects projects or just film and edit movies in Adobe Premiere? :)

Hi Istavan,

I recently bought a new laptop and in the process did a lot of research. I found out that the answer is mixed for sure and a lot of it depends on the software you plan on using. Some software prefer ram and others are GPU heavy. Since I was planning on using Davinci Resolve, it looks like that software likes GPU more, so I made sure to select a laptop that had a better GPU. I don't think you can ever go wrong with ram and if you are building a PC, ram is one of the cheaper parts.

Anyway, that was my take on it all, but I'm also very much a beginner. Hopefully this helps or you get a better answer from someone else :)

Maybe you need a professional graphic card then...like the new nvidia RTX 3080 TI or nvidia RTX 3090...or even its equivalent from AMD :D

Network Sponsors

Back