What does "MOS" stand for?

ledbird

I've heard the term "MOS" used a lot in relation to student or low-budget films; i.e. something was an "MOS" film. What does it stand for? I assume its an acronym of some kind.

Thanks,
Ledbird

More normally, it refers to a shot that's recorded without sound. The legend is that it stands for 'Mit Out Sound', and was originated by some famous German director, but I'm not convinced of that :).

MOS

MOS

It does indeed refer to a shot that is being done without sound. But the MOS actually stands for "Missing Optical Sound".

MOS stands for "Mit Out Sound", it means no sound is recorded. It defenetly has nothing to see with Optical Sound !

This appears on sceenplays and clapbords, nothing to see with screenings !

Well, it's not German for "Mit out Sound." The German director had trouble with the word "with" so he just became frustrated and said "Mit Out Sound" to the audio tech. Of course, there are a hundred other meanings of MOS, including "Minus Optical Sound" and "Man-On-the-Street." (a Man-On-the-Street is an interview held by a news reporter or producer of just regular men [or women] who the encounter on the street.)

It means Mit Out Sound...

I see that several others have mentioned prior to me, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents... :lol:

MOS

MOS

MOS does indeed refer to a shot without recorded sound, however, the origin of the term is not so cut and dried. There is no definitive historical reference to the origin of MOS (I've looked many times) and there are many anecdotal explanations, "Mit Out Sound" being the most prevalent and commonly accepted. However, many people insist that MOS stands for "minus optical STRIPE" not minus optical SOUND. One of the earliest widely used sound recording methods was exposing an optical stripe directly onto the film at the time of shooting. It looked much the same as an optical stripe that is printed onto a modern release print. SO, there is no absolute answer to the question except that MOS refers to a shot without recorded sound. The real truth of the origin of the term MOS has been lost to history. My money, however, is on "Mit Out Sound". It's just so much more romantic of an explanation.

MOS really stands for Minus Optical Soundtrack. Missing Optical Soundtrack would lead someone to believe that sound was recorded and now it's missing. Now Louie and the MGM lion are out looking for it. Optical sound first saw widespread use in the 1920s as a sound-on-film format for motion pictures. This technology transitioned to clear film with an iron oxide stripe for use in Movieolas. Then too there is a Victrola which has nothing to do with a Movieola but more to do with Motorola which started out as a record player for cars.

Network Sponsors

Back