What do I need to become a screen writer

clydeworldwyde

Hi everybody,

This is my first time using this website and I hope I can recieve useful tips for pursuing my dreams as a screen writer.

Right now I am worried about what type of education would be best for me. What's going to make the big time film companies pick me to work for them?

I heard from different colleges that obtaining a BA isn't necessary for becoming a screen writer. I am interested in joining the LA Film Institute for a 1 year immersion.

Will the big timers look at me without a BA?

The LA Film Institue would probably get my feet wet in the movie making industry, but will it limit me to career advancements since I don't have a BA?

Please help. I did research on my own and could not find anything. I want to become a screen writer more than anything.

Hi clydeworldwyde,

I have never written a screenplay but this week I have started with it. I would recommend you to get the book “Screenplay – The Foundations of Screenwriting” 2005 by Syd Field.

Introduction

1. What Is a Screenplay? 2. The Subject 3. The Creation of Character 4. Building a Character 5. Story and Character 6. Endings and Beginnings 7. Setting Up the Story 8. Two Incidents 9. Plot Points 10. The Scene 11. The Sequence 12. Building the Story Line 13. Screenplay Form 14. Writing the Screenplay 15. Adoption 16. On Collaboration 17. After It’s Written 18. A Personal Note

I think it’s 12 Dollars or something Concerning Script Formating, you'll find useful information also under the subject "A Few Notes on Formatting" on

www.oscars.org/nicholl/format.html

It is a screenplay about how to formate it. It is also available as pdf and it cost nothing.

The best way to become a screenwriter is:

Write.

Going to the right school will certainly help make contacts to get your scripts noticed, but if you can write great scripts then people will buy them and hire you to write for them in future. Other than the contacts, you'd probably do just as well spending $500 on a few good books and some decent formatting software as spending thousands on a degree.

I haven't read Syd Field's book, but from what I gather it's a decent overview of how to write a script. I've been reading Robert McKee's book, 'Story' over the last few weeks and I think I got more out of that than the majority of screenwriting books that I've read.

As far as education goes, the best way to become a screenwriter is to do anything in college that isn't related to movies. Get a degree in Meteorology, French Literature, Basket Weaving. Make sure you are a well-rounded individual. If you take film courses, all you'll be qualified to do is make movies the way the colleges teach you to make movies.

Secondly, you have to write. You have to be passionate about writing, and you have to do it every day. Even if it's complete crap, write something every day.

Network Sponsors

Back