What and When?

terpprincess13

what types of mics do you use and when do u use them?
Ex. When boom over wireless mic?

Basically, how many different ways are there of capturing sound and what situations would you use one over the other??

Thanks!

Boom mic is almost always better than a wireless mic (lavelier mic), probably because it can get a clearer shot at the actor. I'm just starting to work with lav mics and I hate them. They're so touchy and hard to get used to. If you're trying to choose between a boom mic and a liv mic then I say go with the boom (or use both and in editing take one audio track out).

I love using wireless lav mics. Once you've learned to use them properly, they're really easy and fast. They're good for live events, reality stuff, etc. They are also best if you have any background noise you have to minimize.

Lavs can vary widely depending on the make and model you use. Many on the market are trash. Be sure you get one that's been proven reliable and good sound quality. I use the Samson UM-1 set, sounds great, easy to work with, great reception, just a dream.

Booms are for using on a closed set where all the sound is controled.

But use a real singer's mic for VO work.

Wireless mics/lavs are great for hiding on the set. I've put one in a cereal box and cut a small hole for the mic. Actually two cereal boxes, one for each camera angle. Also in vases, tucked under the cushions of a chair or couch, in a light fixture, etc.

Used incorrectly a boom/shotgun can pick up too much ambient sound and requires some practice and/or expertise to get good sound.

A great boom op is worth his/her weight in gold and can save you lots of time and money during audio post.

Boom vs Lav's

Boom vs Lav's

I call Booms the ultimate safety. When used correctly in a sound controlled area they are awesome. Unfortunately most low budget projects are less than ideal for boom mics. This is when we step to the "Wired" lav mic. Notice I put in quotes wired! These have superior sound to wireless and if your talent is sitting in a diner booth or driving in a car, wired lav's can rock some great sound, (Always running a boom safety if possible). Last is the wireless lav microphones. Especially when working in a city setting like Manhattan or Chicago you must be keenly aware of intereference issues!

Try and always print your boom mic to a separate track if possible. This will allow you the most flexibilty to fix things in post. Classic setup,

Two shot (Two guys or girls at a bar, sitting in a park etc.)
1. Boom mic on left channel.
2. Two lav mics on right channel.

Re: Boom vs Lav's

Re: Boom vs Lav's

Bryant Falk said:
These have superior sound to wireless... you must be keenly aware of intereference issues!

Only if you use cheap wireless. If you buy professional quality wireless, or even pro-sumer wireless, you'll not get interfearance (I have shot in New Orleans, Huston, New York, Boston) with no interfearance issues, and with top quality sound. The "wire" does not in any way boost sound quality, or insure you from interfearance.

Just my expereince...

Network Sponsors

Back