Welcome to the RED Sub-Forum

Jon Firestone

I've had camera #232 since early in January, and have had a chance to put it through quite a bit of testing and real world shooting. I've also done post on both PCs and Macs. I'm an Indy film maker. I'm interested in how to do a lot with very little money, and make it look much better than it should with the budget that at hand. The RED camera is perfect for this. And while it isn't exactly cheap, with several thousand cameras to be out there in the near future, rentals will probably be pretty reasonable before long. So for those of you who haven't had a chance to shoot with one yet, feel free to ask questions, and for those who have, let’s hear your stories.

Jon

Stories

Stories

What would you charge to shoot a short that takes three or four days to shoot?

Well RED camera rentals vary a lot based on what you need included in the package and where you are located. Probably the best option is to find out who has cameras in your area, and hook you up with them. PM me and I'll help you find a camera in your area. We currently own some glass of our own, but depending on the project we end up renting lenses that are appropriate for the project. Some cameras are using the Nikon mount, and minimal accessories and will be much more resonable than others which come with full sets of super speeds. And also figure that most renters will require you hire someone from the company as a DIT or operator. So make sure you find out about that expense as well. But hiring an owner/operator might be a good idea if you don't already have a DP on board. The cameras are still in very high demand right now, so getting a killer deal right now isn't very likely, but over the coming months as more get out in the wild, prices should stabilize a bit.

Network Sponsors

Back