Weird?

lynne

Hi all

I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting and asking about this but i have a quick question for anybody that can share their thoughts on this situation i am in.

So here is the deal,
I am currently attending an acting school and have been for several months now. over the past few months I have been confronted with some things i find a little concerning and also i have heard stories about things that i find unnerving.
for example:
- I heard that in the final term of the school we have to perform a sex scene.
- I have also witnessed nudity and explicit content performed on stage on the school premises by students and teachers together.
- I have also seen students behave violently towards other students and teachers have not taken any action against it.

all that i am asking is if this is acceptable standards for an educational facility to be providing for its students like myself who are studying to become actors?

thanks for your time
please respond

You are absolutely correct.
As an actor you will probably be asked to do some physical things, things not normally accepted in the conventional workplace.
If you don’t want to do them you must be clear and say that early on.
Speak up. Have some backbone.
After all, if you have a sense of pride and modesty then that is a valuable thing and will add to your personality and character.
It will close some roles to you, but open up others.
At the end of the day it will allow you to be taken more seriously as an actor.
Stay away from the roles that cause you to go against your natural instincts.
People will pressure you; try to persuade you, all sorts of things.
Use your own moral compass to make your choices.
I never forget going to see a really small production of the elephant man.
I was young and had a seat right by the stage.
For no reason at all the female lead threw her clothes off.
It really had nothing to do with the story.
I suspect it’s just a tactic to get more patrons in.
Another time I was casting for a small ad shoot and we had picked the actors from their photos.
But we needed to meet them to see how they would look in person.
I swear these girls were expecting to have to do some favours in order to get the part.
We thought it was the strangest thing and wondered what normally went on.
When you are trying to organise a shoot and you have lots of stuff to coordinate, the last thing you want is to have to deal with some flirty unprofessional actress or model.
In summation:
Listen to the little voice,
be professional,
Lastly, expect the snakes that will try and bend your will - tell them where to go in no uncertain terms.

Network Sponsors

Back