Very Shallow Depth of field.... How?

ermetekos

Dear fellow filmmakers,
I want to have a really shallow depth of field in a close up of face, where i d be net, on the eyes and out of focus on the mouth.
How can I achieve that?
Any advice on Lenses , Lighting?

thank you beforehand

If your from a high or low angle then you can have one in the foreground and one in the background. If you shoot it dead on you cant have one soft because they are roughly the same distance from the lens.

In terms of achieving it technically you need to get your f/stop wide open (either with ND's, or shooting in very low light) and be on a really long lens. What are you shooting on?

Regards, James Brown

If you get one of those tilt focal lenses, I think you could get the shot from straight on, but that'd probably be pricey. You could also try to fake it in post.

I haven't used them but i was under the impression the shift and tilt lenses focused on the horizontal axis not the vertical?

shallow depth of field

shallow depth of field

If you camera/lens has a macro setting, use that. You can get to the point of losing focus in a matter of inches. Caveat: camera will have to be fairly close to subject, and focussing can be tricky...

ya i think using a MACRO LENS would be a good idea.... :arrow:

Network Sponsors

Back