Type of Mic...?

I'm making my first independent student film, and I'm in need of some audio teachings. I have a 3ccd Panasonic consumer video camera, and I'm guessing I'll use that for the audio...Unless theirs something out there I can use that fits my budget. Do I record the sound seperately? And whats a DAT?
I dont know anything about audio. But I know its important.
My budget is no more than about 100 bucks.
What should I do?

DAT = Digital Audio Tape.

DAT recorders are being used less and less in favor of digital recorders like the Fostex FR-2. Most manufacturers no longer make DATs, and it's getting harder to get replacement parts and the tapes are getting more expensive. You can find decent ones used in the $250.00 to $750.00 range.

On an ultra-micro-budget mics and recorders become a problem.

For a mic think about the Azden SGM-1X Shotgun. It's about $150.00, but you will still need the shockmount, cable, cable adapter and boompole. Not a mic I would use (I prefer the Rode NTG-1 in the under $250.00 price range), but it's a start.

Your best bet for a recorder would probably be a MiniDisk There are many relatively inexpensive ones out there that will do the job. Sony makes many good ones. Keep in mind that you will have no control over volume levels; lower range MiniDisk recorders use a compress/limit process instead which can be troublesome.

Syncing in post will be a bear, so use the camera sound as a sync reference, make sure that you log everything well and use your clapboard.

PM me if you would like.

What would you recommend for wireless. My budget is a bit more allowing.

I like the Sennheiser Evolution G2 500 Series, and the Lectrosonics 100 and 400 series because I have had positive experiences with them. Sony makes some nice ones as well, although I have no personal experience with them.

Network Sponsors

Back