Twin Falls Idaho - Artistic choices

K

kaos1000

Mr. Mullen,
I just finished Twin Falls Idaho.................... WOW. Is all I have to say.....

congrats on a beautiful and moody work of art.

I was curious about a couple of things...........

I noticed the "silverish" look that was used almost all the way through until the separation of the brothers........then full rich color.......made sense, and really worked.......

My question is about the opening sequence when Penny first meets the boys in their room..............there is something distinctive about this scene that seems to get toned down as soon as the movie starts.............I mean the look is super dramatic...............What changed after that opening sequence?
Was that look more over the top because we hadn't met the brothers yet?

IS there anything different about that sequence or did I just get used to look that you created?

thank you,

kaos

Technically, I didn't change my approach until after the death of one of the twins -- I mildly flashed the negative up until that point (using a Panaflasher), and the release prints up to that reel used a 50 I.R. level of ACE silver retention processing (the original show prints I made after answer printing used a 100 I.R. level of ACE processing using the older 5386 print stock, but when Vision 2383 print stock suddenly replaced it, I had to drop to less ACE processing to compensate for Vision print stock's higher contrast.)

But that early scene was lit very blue-ish and soft but contrasty (mostly Kinoflos). I was using Fuji F-250T uncorrected in daylight.

Network Sponsors

Back