TV is the future?

Kim Welch

Staff member
I was just reading this article "Here Comes Apple's Real TV"
by Ben Kunz

"TV is the future because it remains king of all media. While handsets get hyped, the typical U.S. consumer watches 5 hours and 9 minutes of TV a day, according to Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN - News), and even younger adults 18 to 24 years old—the supposed digital generation—view 3 hours and 30 minutes on televisions daily, vs. only 49 minutes on the Web and 20 minutes on mobile. We all love to lean back. With so much of the consumer's time, TV has become bloated with waste. The average U.S. home receives 130 cable channels but "tunes to"—or punches in the exact channel number on the remote—just 18 channels a year. Channel surfing has died. A whopping 86% of available channels are never used by an individual viewer."

People thought the same things 10 years ago

People thought the same things 10 years ago

People thought the same things 10 years ago when fiber huns were going up all over the county. We have broadband times ten but still TV RULES. :) I think it is going to rule for a long long long long time. It is the fact we want to escape and kick back and enjoy a good movie or story...

the only way Internet TV will be full on is when everyone has fast internet, no DL caps since most ISP has bandwidth caps, also cable TV has no compression (you know what I mean) and it's on it's own dedicated line, and I want it to stay that way, dont want my mom sucking up the internet watching dramas while i try to frag noobs in cs..

All in One seems to go so far

All in One seems to go so far

The thing the internet entertainment brought to us is the interactivity in the form of personalization and socialization. I don't think the all in one is going to take over TV and Theater types of entertainment. Or maybe it will but the modes of watching it probably won't change much. I don't see us sitting our desks watching movies, right? :)

Watching films on your TV allows for comfort on the couch, watching TV on computer most often involves sitting at a chair- I think this needs to be addressed before people will seriously consider making TV the thing of the past. In my eyes, TV will remain, it's iconic and I like it!

Watching films on your TV allows for comfort on the couch, watching TV on computer most often involves sitting at a chair- I think this needs to be addressed before people will seriously consider making TV the thing of the past. In my eyes, TV will remain, it's iconic and I like it!

computer hooked up to tv, you chill on couch, win

Network Sponsors

Back