... Traveling Pants ... an attempt to break down script

jodymichelle

Staff member
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Movie Spoiler

Did anyone see "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" while it was out in the theatre? Is it still playing?

Right after I watched the movie, I told some of my friends that if they're bored and already watched the better movies playing to ... Sure, why not, go see 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants' if you want to go out and watch a movie and have nothing else to do...

They said, Okay thanks, with an implied, No thanks.

My short comments. Before watching the movie, I didn't think there was any point to see it. An extremely brief glimpse of the movie trailer and it's obvious the movie is for teens/young adults or the general age group that reads "Seventeen" magazine. This reminded of some of the kinds of stories I read in highschool -- lots of Joyce Carol Oates and Margaret Atwood.

But while I'm already in the middle of a "drama" in a theatre seat, tearing up, and saying in my mind, ... It's not so bad being here and watching this movie ... not looking at my watch, I'm sensing that the movie should be nearing the end. Appreciating the "drama" part of the story and hiding the tears behind my glasses feeling like a fool, I went home briefly pondering why I was even at the movie theatre watching, "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and why I didn't walk out.

I didn't leave the movie theatre before the movie ended because I was too curious -- curious to find out how in the world the writer was going to close all of the subplots and storyline in such a short amount of time without sugarcoating -- and to find out if there would be any sugarcoating.

But the movie premise itself already implies sugarcoating -- the part of about one pair of blue jeans fitting all 4 girls perfectly. Why then did I really sit through the movie to the end? Well, it was to find out exactly "how much sugar."

If you're interested let's chat about what made the movie/story likeable or not likeable. Did the big "drama" aspect of the movie make up for the sugarcoated areas? Would you say there were sugarcoated areas? Does any of this matter? How could a story/script about 4 main characters have 1 main storyline? Was there 1 main storyline with 3 subplots? 4 storylines with 1 subplot? 4 subplots with no storyline?

As deep as the big "drama" aspect of the story turned out to be, how does this teen movie compare/contrast with the teen movies you watched when you were a teen?

Without saying too much, because I am biased (I'm friends with one of the 4 main girls) the movie was okay for its intended audience.

I thumbed through an early version of the script and it differed some as far as how it handled the subplots (I did not thoroughly read it by any means).

I saw the film, and it did have many flaws. But, I try to look at a movie based on what it intended to do. This movie was supposed to be a fun "chick flick" for younger audiences, especially those who were fans of the book. I think it accomplished its goals.

If my friend was not in the movie, I would not normally have seen it . . . simply, it is not my type of film. That said, when evaluating it objectively, I feel it accomplished its goals.

Kevin Zanit

Not surprised to read that the script was based on a novel (or some books?). The movie gave off a kind of storybook/ teen-young-adult short story feel. How different or similar is the script to the novel? Although "spoiler" is noted at the beginning of this string and understanding that a lot of people, mostly guys, won't be watching this movie, I still don't want to give too much away. At least not until I or someone else starts talking about the breakdown of the script/outline. The point of the movie is to entertain, make its intended audience laugh a little, cry a little, think a little, and see some beautiful sights (Greece),... maybe let a few interesting characters from a book come even more into life even if only for a few seconds... But this is also not my type of film and nothing complex, so it should be easier to break down such a simple outline and observe timing of scenes as well as any flaws.

Will post if I happen to find some of the answers to my questions.

I never read the books, so I could not compare.

I will ask my friend if she still has a copy of the older script that I can look through again (although I doubt she does).

Kevin Zanit

Network Sponsors

Back