Tips on how to use the Gimbal on your Smartphone

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
If you love taking breathtaking shots with your smartphone, you probably understood by now the benefits of using a Gimbal. There are Gimbals that are easier to use, such as the DJI Osmo Mobile series, or Gimbals that are harder to use because you need to manually set them up, such as the ones from FeYu. Regardless of your option, you still need to practice to get the best results.

Here are a few tips that can help you:
1. Bend your knees and walk slowly

When you are filming with a gimbal, you can get a better view if you walk slowly and you bend your knees. Here, we are talking about a Gimbal for a Smartphone, which is more sensitive than a professional Gimbal. If you walk fast or you run with your Gimbal, the image is probably going to look shaky.

This type of walk will reduce the impact of your feet on the ground while walking.

2. Balance your Gimbal before starting

Before you start filming, make sure you balance your Gimbal properly. If you are doing this for the first time, you can try searching for tutorials for your Gimbal model and learn to do it properly.

3. Turn your Gimbal OFF

Before you start using the Gimbal, make sure it’s turned off. Then, you can put in your smartphone. After your smartphone is safely put on the Gimbal, you can then turn it on.
When you are done using the Gimbal, turn it off. Then, proceed in removing the smartphone. Do NOT install/remove your smartphone with your Gimbal turned on, because you can damage it.

4. Look at your screen

When using the Gimbal, look at your Smartphone’s screen, not where you are walking. This will help you focus on what you are filming and will enable you to get the best shots.
Check your pathway before each shot. Have a test-run if necessary to avoid trip hazards.

5. Lock your FOCUS and EXPOSURE

Tap on your screen to lock the FOCUS and EXPOSURE to avoid having unwanted changes during the shot. The last thing you want to happen is to start filming a great shot and have your camera focus randomly on objects, or your exposure change each time you change your angle.

6. Use your arms and upper body to move the camera

Using a Gimbal doesn’t mean your legs are the only parts of the body that you can use. Walking is optional and you can use your arms and upper body to move the camera to get creative results. This will also allow you to fit your gimbal through tighter spaces.

What are your favorite tips and tricks with your smartphone gimbal?

I wish someone had told me about how to walk when I first started using a Gimbal. It took me a while to understand what I am doing wrong.

Network Sponsors

Back