Tips for exteriors lighting

Lilia

Hello everybody, i'm new in the forum. My school is really theorist; we learn analysis, history and theories around films. I like this, but i also want to learn filmmaking. So, I learn filmmaking by my own.

I would like to learn some tips about lighting in exteriors. I would really appreciate this.

Many greetings

Hi Lilia, welcome to the forum. I would say learn to use and manipulate available light as much as possible - use bounceboards for fill light, use diffusion in direct sunlight, etc.

Is there a specific question or topic you were curious about?

Hi, Ed. Thank you for your answer. I would like to know what kind of light can use to recreate sparkles in a Forest?

It is convenient to block solar light to don't be disturbe by its changes? In my country Wetter is very changeable, light on sky always changes, and this is a worry for me.

Thank you

Hi Lilia, I'm not sure what you mean by "sparkles in a forest" - is there an example you can give?

Unless you're indoors it will be difficult to block out the sunlight. Try to shoot on overcast days for the most consistent lighting, or shoot in the shade on a sunny day. If you have constant weather changes you will just have to do your best with adjusting your exposure each time and re-white balancing often.

I would like to know what kind of light can use to recreate sparkles in a Forest?

You cannot recreate what is not there (except in postproduction, but that is not the same). You need to spend some time in that forest and see with your own eyes at what time of the day the sparks and glimmers are there, then shoot at that time. You can also look around because sometimes just shooting from a different spot can give you the effect you’re looking for.

I'm assuming you mean like the sunbeam through the leaves, casting streaks of light in the misty air with particles floating around, quite a mystical scene type-thing.

Basically if you get a sunny day, you can grab a fog machine and blow a bit of fog around and you should get some streaks. If that doesn't work, then you would have to do it in post. The extent of post would me motion tracking in some form of light streak element.

For the particles, they will most likely have to be added in post. Pretty much the same as above, but with a particle system instead of the streaks.

That's what I think from what I'm hearing.

Network Sponsors

Back