Tips for a DV Camera User

ProbstUWM

Hey, first post here at this forum. Just to let you know I am going to UW-Milwaukee in the fall to study film.

For a few years I have been making films with my friends using a standard MiniDV camera and a tripod. I haven't stepped outside of the basic lines of filming too much. I am always looking for new shots and ways to film things. I have experience on advanced editing systems and I just got a copy of Final Cut Pro. Recently I have been trying to expand my directing. I want to use different lenses, lighting, effects, sound etc.

However, I only have a MiniDV camera and I don't know how accessible all this equipment can be for me. I will have experience with better equipment in the fall, but I want to get a head start.

Does anyone have tips for a semi-experienced filmmaker with low budget equipment?

Write a bunch of short scripts and make as many as you can. The only way to learn how to make a film is to go out and practice as much as you can. Upload them to the internet and ask people to critique them for you. Then when you get to college you will have experience making many short pieces which is required in film school. Also you will have experience learning from critiques. All of your skills will grow if you practice each side of production. Learn lighting set ups and try to use them all in your work. Practice different camera movements. This goes for editing as well. The more you edit the more familiar you will get with the program. Soon you will know how to do anything you imagine in your NLE. To sum it up, make as many shorts as you can. Then when you are allowed to use advanced equipment, your pieces will be so much better since you already know what you're doing.

Network Sponsors

Back