Time Lapse

Denisse

Hello Everyone,
I just recently purchased the Canon XH-A1. It's my first camera and I'm just learning how to use it. How do you capture time lapse shots? It's probably a basic question, but I'm new to this so bear with me.

Thanks!

Re: Time Lapse

Denisse said:
Hello Everyone,
I just recently purchased the Canon XH-A1. It's my first camera and I'm just learning how to use it. How do you capture time lapse shots? It's probably a basic question, but I'm new to this so bear with me.

Thanks!

I don't own the camera, but the answer to your question is likely in the camera's manual. I wont' be rude and tell you to RTFM, but that's the first place I'd check. Maybe look for "Interval" or something to that effect.

Manual

Manual

Hi,
I did RTFM that's the first thing I did! And it's still unclear to me. I will figure it out anyway. I won't be rude and tell you not to reply unless you have something positive to say, but I will say have a nice day!

Sorry, I was trying to be positive!

Anyway, I did some research and found that it does not have an intervalometer (meaning you can't do time lapse). This happens with some HDV cameras because of the way it records the images to tape. In fact, I believe many 24p cameras (at least, the DVX100a) can't do interval recording for the same reason.

One suggestion would be to just hit record and shoot for as long as you can, then speed up the footage in post. I know it's a waste, but it may be your only bet. Unless you were trying for some other effect. Also, they do make software packages that will take time lapse footage from the camera, but you need a laptop and hard drive to capture to directly.

Sorry if I came off as rude. Not intended.

Time lapse info

Time lapse info

Thank You Filmosity!
For taking the time out to help me. It's truly appreciated! :p

If you are going for the option with a computer for recording, check out the Timershot Powertoy from Microsoft. It's a simple tool that just saves still images from any attached camera at a given interval. Pretty simple, but what else do we need?

Filmosity said:
In fact, I believe many 24p cameras (at least, the DVX100a) can't do interval recording for the same reason.

Correction, it's the HDV Long GOP format that prevents HDV cameras from doing Time Lapse. The DVX100a actually can do Time Lapse, just not in 24p ADVANCED mode. You can use it in regular 24p and 30p modes.

Time Lapses...

Time Lapses...

I've done a few time lapses with my HDV cam. I simply set it up on a tripod and let it run for however long it takes, up to an hour (dang tapes). Then I capture it in Vegas 7, where the magic happens. I have a 40 minute clip of something, and in order to make it into a time lapse, I simply rendered out every 10th frame, into an image sequence. I then brought the image sequence into After Effects and rendered it out. BAM. There ya go. It's all in the software.

Here's a time lapse of Mt Rainier, a mountain that is in my state. This is obviously the down converted version of the 720pHD version.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A02FEDBD7328E25F

For this one, I had only about 20 minutes of footage, so I rendered out every 6th frame instead of every 10th.

Hope that helps,

SB

Edit: HD version: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=6C06BC03336A91AE

BenB said:
Filmosity said:
In fact, I believe many 24p cameras (at least, the DVX100a) can't do interval recording for the same reason.

Correction, it's the HDV Long GOP format that prevents HDV cameras from doing Time Lapse. The DVX100a actually can do Time Lapse, just not in 24p ADVANCED mode. You can use it in regular 24p and 30p modes.

Thanks for the correction! :D

That seems to work as long as your subject doesn't need to be captured for longer than the length of the tape. Are there any practical HDV time-lapse cameras? My only experience with time-lapse on video is with the GL2 and similar cameras, which all have very crappy controls that record half-second shots in a few hard set intervals, the results looked ugly to me. I'm shooting with 16mm film on a Bolex for time-lapse at great cost because I can't find an HD camera that gives me any real time-lapse control (not to mention be able to deal with long exposures).

The Firestore products will let you do it, and with more flexability than any camera has built in. I use the FS-100 with the HVX200 and can do Time Lapse from 1 frame to 24 hours. Their HDV model does this, too, from what I understand.

Network Sponsors

Back