Theater Acting Vs Film Acting

JimmyFigueras

There are actors (such as Kenneth Branagh) who perform just as well on stage as they do on film. Nicole Kidman once said it's every actors' dream to do both after she did "The Blue Room". I've seen other actors who are hardcore classically trained but when they do movies, they don't blend very well. Since theater acting has its differences from film acting and seeing actors that are doing theater and film constantly, is it challenging or hard to switch back and forth? Thank you.

Hi Jimmy and welcome to our community! :D

From what I've observed over the years, there is a big difference when it comes to Theater Acting compared to Film Acting. Aside from being two different styles, the technical details are different: on stage, you are live, you have to do it perfect from the first time, while on camera, there are multiple takes, from multiple angles too.
The Theater Acting takes place in front of a live audience, you are on a stage and the actors usually exaggerate their movements and speak loud.
For films, it's a completely different story. You have a camera that eliminates the distance between the performer and the observer.

I have seen many theatre actors trying to become movie actors and the other way around. Sometimes, it works. Most times, it doesn't. We are talking about people who have experience in two different things, it is like comparing apples with strawberries. Sure, they are both fruits, but they are completely different fruits, for completely different purpose.

Network Sponsors

Back