The right gels

reggie_obe

I never seem to have the right gels for a job, or enough of the correct gels. I started by buying cut sheets as I needed them, but they usually aren't large enough (or economical) when you have to ND a number of windows. So I soved that by buying a couple rolls of ND. But buying rolls CTO, CTB, diffusion, etc. can get a little expensive when you are paying for the expendables. And the date rate for non-union shorts is either zilch or darn close. I haven't been fortunate to work any shoots where an expendable package was bought along with the grip rental. So what if any is the solution? Are Rosco gells that much better than Lee or Gam? Rosco is always more expensive in comparison. Does anyone know of a cheaper source for rolls?

Usually the production pays for the gels as well as used bulbs, gaffer tape, batteries etc.

Even on a very low cost production, they pay the sandwiches and the gels...

As to find out what is cheaper, you should compare dealers, whatever trademarks, better than marks themselves, I think.

Expendables

Expendables

I guess I have worked on more than a few "lower than low" budget productions. Seems like the Production Manager always assumes that you own "everything". Or through ignorance under estimates the real costs.

Well, you can bring what you have, but when ther is a need... Another way to do it is ask him to pay some other expenses instead, like petrol or anything, that he wouldnt have paid for otherwise, that you actually use for some gels...

This is one of those times you just have to stand up for yourself. Just because a camera op might own the camera he is using doesn't mean he is expected to donate his film. Same thing goes here, these items are too expensive to be pulling out of pocket for free shoots. Tell them that and if they want quality they need to invest in it. Don't let yourself be taken advantage of.

Network Sponsors

Back