THE RETURN OF DONNIE...

D

Digigenic

Ladies and Gentlemen: Richard Kelly

I’m sure you know of his work, if not, then I feel obligated to do my best James Lipton impersonation to honor this particular writer/director who is on the verge of gaining long overdue recognition as a truly gifted filmmaker for the re-release of a movie he made only 3 years ago at the age of 26.

If you don’t know which movie I’m talking about, allow me to refresh your memory. Richard Kelly wrote and directed a beautiful movie entitled Donnie Darko, originally released in 2001.

It’s been speculated that Donnie Darko had the potential to gain more success had the timing of its release been just a little earlier or much later, like now. Primarily, because of its original release date falling not too far from 9/11 and the airplane incidents that occurred within the movie creating parallelism that if you all remember, caused quite a few other movies with similar tones to bite the dust or be totally re-shot before release. After being released to an unsuspecting audience in a period of hysteria; it only earned $500,000 at the box office. BUT, the film went onto home video and DVD to earn 10 Million dollars. As you know, those kinds of figures tend to have a cult following attached.

Prestigious Film Festivals, like Sundance took immediate recognition of his work, giving the film and its creator the attention they deserved. This summer, Kelly will give audiences a second chance by releasing the director’s cut of Donnie Darko.
With a wonderful cast, beautiful score, great design and cinematography, and excellent directorial structure, it’s hard to believe Richard Kelly would want to make any adjustments, but we’ll all have to wait and see. Richard Kelly is also working on three other movies, Knowing, Southland Tales, and The Box.
…There’s already so much to look forward to :wink:

The director's cut is really really amazing.
I'm lucky enough to live in the rather odd state of Washington, and we were randomly selected as the state to host a test screening of the film... even luckier, the movie theater where I work part-time got a copy of the film... it's really really amazing.
Not that it comes as a surprise.

I can't wait for it to release again though, cause I need to see that cut again already!

I think blaming the poor box office on 9/11 is pretty bizarre: the real failing would appear to have been that movie distributors have no clue how to market a movie that's so far from the typical mainstream teen pap. I mean, I'd never even heard of it until I saw it at a film festival, and most of my friends only saw it because other people told them to.

Well I think the box office in general will have a very nice weekend due to Spiderman 2 which by the way is by and large just fantastic. They are really coming through with a superhero trilogy thats made the way they are supposed to be. I only just saw Donnie Darko two nights ago and although time travel confuses the hell out of me I really really liked the movie, even if I'll have to see it a couple more times to really completely understand it. Its an awesome script for sure.

Network Sponsors

Back