The Martini Shot Special Report

F

Filmosity

Oh DAMN AM I PISSED!

On Wednesday, April 27, 2005, President Bush quietly signed into law the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act. The bill protects the makers of filtering technology that helps users skip over parts of commercial movie DVDs. "So?" you may ask. Well folks, as filmmakers, this directly affects you. It has the potential to travel down a very dangerous road.

Read a few articles on the subject here, here and here. And read the actual bill right here.

Most Importantly, listen to The Martini Shot to find out more.

So what will a person be able to do? Select a "censored mode" to watch the movie in? Or will this be any different than a simple fast-forward?

Or will this be any different than a simple fast-forward?

I have some damn annoying DVDs which _disable_ fast-forward! In fact, I seem to remember that at least one of David Lynch's movies disables fast forward and has no chapter stops, because he wants to force people to watch the whole thing even if they got half-way through the night before and want to start from where they left off.

But yes, since I'm not that a-n-a-l (hint to web site, 'a-n-a-l' is not a swear-word that needs censoring :)), I don't really see what the difference is between this and using the fast-forward button. I've watched a lot of movies mostly on fast-forward (e.g. most of the 'horror' movies of the last decade or so, where you don't lose anything from watching it at 10x speed :)), and this just seems to automate the process.

DannyG said:
So what will a person be able to do? Select a "censored mode" to watch the movie in? Or will this be any different than a simple fast-forward?

Ya know, I'm not sure on exactly how the technology works. I'll do some research today to find out and report back here.

-Chris

Network Sponsors

Back