The job of the Producer

Kim Welch

Staff member
Whereas the writer, director and director of photography are most concerned with the specific design of a picture the essential job of the producer is to see that the film actually gets made - in other words, that the product is produced. Whether he or she uses personal funds, administer studio monies, or takes out a loan, the producer is the one who provides themoney to the director and other filmmakers.

This is one of the producer's jobs, yes. However, to clarify, there is more than one type of producer. The executive producer is the person who is either paying for and/or lining up money for a film to begin. However, there are also line producers who oversee physical production. There are development executives (sometimes also work as line producers) oversee the script development process. Then, there are the "producers." These guys are the wheelers and dealers. They get all of the preproduction going. They oversee it. They make sure everybody pulls their weight on set. And then, they also oversee post production, and then they are the ones who usually take over marketing for a film. What most people don't understand is that making the film is half the battle. Why make a film if nobody is going to show up for it? That's the job of the producer a lot of the time. Get butts in seats, people - to quote George Carlin.

I think producing is a lot like other things in that it is always morphing and changing. Back in the good ole days things were done a certain way and that was they way but now we have writers who finance, shoot, direct and edit their films. We have kickstarter and gofundme and crowdfunding we never had before as well as a number of outsourcing and software solutions for accounting and management. To me producing has always meant the funding and hiring aspect but I suppose it could be a position that has a lot to do with any part of the film making processes one would want to have a part in. And, on the other hand it might be a position of actually getting the money and backing someone else s vision that you believe in. I know there are different roles for the line producer, executive producer and so on and as there are micro and macro productions there are needs that scale with size. I don't think there is only one way or role for a producer. I like what my grandmother used to say in certain situations, "there is more than one way to skin a cat" She grew up in the Cumberland mountains in Kentucky so I think that was more like a big cat skinning and not a pet cat thing but the idea is sound. She also used to say that the proof is in the pudding which I also think fits here. If you get the job done and it's a great movie you succeeded.

Network Sponsors

Back