the best camera for my use

thedude4242

I am really eager to do improved filming. right now I have a cannon camcorder that is not HD but it was about $400. I noticed when making youtube videos and other things the quality really wasnt what I wanted. especially in low light. I want to make a serious upgrade. I also want to start filming short films and low budget movies. here are my options. I really only wanted to spend $2000 total but if a few more buck will make a lot better improvements I could do a little more.

Panasonic ag-hmc40
Panasonic aghmc42
Sony hdr-fx7
Sony hvr a1u
Canon xa10

I also see people talking a lot of the canon 7d and the canon 5d.

also I have seen people say buy the prosumer cameras that are $1000 and under and make upgrades. like the canon hf s20- maybe get that and make serious lens and accessorie upgrade.

I also know that you need to get accessories sometimes and editing software. I have never really done much editing.

I dont want to buy something too much but then again I dont want to get something that is not the quality I want. thanks guys.

My 2 cents

My 2 cents

Hi , I didn't have much experience in the field of filmmaking ..but did lotta research on cameras ,finally zeroed Canon DSLR because of their HD videos quality ,DOF and choice of lenses.

If you research pro and cons of DSLRs over Video Cameras and decide to buy DSLRs ,I would suggest Canon 60D or Panasonic GH2(Both you will get around $1000 ,for body only) and you can spend remaining amount on lenses and sound equipment, unless you want to buy Canon 5D ($2500 for Body only),more than your total budget.

Taking the video into consideration Canon T2i/T3i , 60D and 7D are same(because of Chip size) except their body make . T3i and 60D have Swivel screen LCD which is useful while shooting and price difference between those two is around $100 ,which is worth spending on 60D (Its my personal opinion).

Drawbacks on DSLRs is Sound recording, you can only input Minijack external microphone .If you wanna use XLR mics , you need to buy adapter for it .There are lotta online videos reg. Sound recording on DSLRs using ZOON H4N.

Let me know ,if you like to know more about specific features on DSLRs.

didnt know until recently you could shoot great video on cameras (not camcorders) someon told me the canon 7d is idiot proof. would these cameras we are talking about by canon produce awesome footage. I want to try to keep all the editing as simple as possible but I can always learn. it is hard to match-up the audio perfect or you getting the mic and adapter take care of that?

Personal Choice

Personal Choice

Hi ,
All Nikon, Canon and Panasonic DSLR cameras record Video with top quality and choice is always depends on the personal interest. All of them have their pro and cons and nobody can point one of them is better than other in all aspects. Google 'em for comparisons ,you will find lotta debates over which one is best and conclusion will be , its your decision and your choice . Decide on what you need and what fits you.After all it’s just a brush in painter's hand.

Regarding Sound, Frankly, been playing with video only and haven't worked with sound on DSLR. I saw the videos of both recording using Mic/adapter and recording/post sync. Both works perfect.

what extra lenses do you think. they have them with kits and they come with a lense. also would get an external mic improve it so editing with not be too hard. also do you need a special computer for editing. I got a newer toshiba lab top. can you think of any other accessories.

Buy on the go

Buy on the go

There are great lenses out there, but I am still researching on lenses, so can't provide much

First rule: Don't buy it lenses that comes with camera, Just buy Body only.

Before buying the lenses research on Prime Vs Zoom Lenses, Crop factor. If you buy any canon other than 5D , all have crop factor of 1.6.

In simple words, focal length of the lens on your camera multiplied by crop factor will be focal length on full frame or 35mm camera.
Example: 50mm on Canon 60D = (50 X 1.6) = 80mm on Full frame or 35mm camera.

Get 50mm Prime lens with f1.8(around $130) or f1.4(around $400) and play with it . Buy different lenses(Zoom, telephoto, macro) depends on the requirement on the go .

Make sure it is a 24Mbps.

Make sure it is a 24Mbps.

The data-rate is critical to the image quality. Most camcorders are 17Mbps or below. The recent Canons are 24Mbps, which is the maximum that AVCHD is defined for.

An external mic is also important.

What I'm really saying is get at least 24Mbps if you think you must invest in AVCHD. That is the maximum that AVCHD is defined for. Bu† AVCHD is not the only game in town. Some people actually prefer Motion JPEG for image quality. I believe MJPEG, while only 720P capable, is 35Mbps and 4:2:2 color sampling. AVCHD is 4:2:0. But MJPEG has a 2G file size limit. You need to stop and start accordingly.

There is a new implementation of MJPEG that Pentax has just introduced in its K5 and K7 DSLRs. Supposedly it is 74Mbps and 4:2:2.

A new codec just being introduced is iFrame. I think its 50Mbps in the 720P x 1280 format.

More expensive cameras, $3000+ are using more advanced codecs, such as Canon's XF and Panasonic's AVC-Intra.

I think on a low budget you probably can't beat those Pentax specs.

Network Sponsors

Back