The Basics of RED Workflow

HDhead

At the last RED L.A. User Group meeting several producers asked me very basic things about the RED post production workflow. There is a bunch of good information at reduser.net but it's sometimes hard to sift through all the post and make a sense of it all.

To help them out I wrote this simple RED workflow article http://www.hdhead.com/?p=147 which is really a non-technical outline of how the process works. It's useful to someone who is just getting familiar with the RED camera system.

It looks like we'll have anoter RED LAUG meeting early in June. Stay tuned for announcements that will be of special value to film students.

Thanks for posting the info about the article. There are a lot of questions about the post workflow for RED. A lot if going to change in the next few months when the SDK becomes available, and it is important that these workflows are understood.

S'up HDHead!

Nice site. (Thanks a ton btw). I don't own one, but I'm a huge fan of Red, except I didn't understand anything about it (the codec, workflow, etc). The extent of my technical knowlege in filmmaking only reaches HDV (I have limited experience in P2 too though) I've been trying to find answers on RedUser.net, but they're too technical for me. It's great that someone finally explained Red in plain english.

btw: do you have a Red?

later,
Lerg

The SDK has been released from RED and there are some exciting new post options available now, and more in the near future. Cineform now has support for RED on Premiere on the PC. RED and Adobe announced that native R3D support in both Premiere Pro and AfterFX will be available soon. Probably by the end of September. The workflow looks great and should be cross platform. More to come shortly, but we're finally seeing some major improvements on the post side of things. Also there is now support for audio in RED Alert.

Network Sponsors

Back