Terrified?

I am attempting to be careful with my words so please bear with me.

BenB-
First of all, I am not bashing you. You attempted to separate yourself from me and my mad ranting by putting the word us in quotation marks. I commented on this because a lot of informed filmmakers feel like me but do not say so for fear of sounding like a conspiracy theorist. I personally don’t care what people think of me as long as they have an argument to support it, and I will enjoy their argument and the intellectual battle that follows.
Your comment, “I'm the guy you should be praising, not bashing. I'm not a student, I'm a producer, consultant, author, educator, I'm doing my part to make a difference. So don't cry to me, I don't have time for whining. I'm too busy making a difference for indie film makers.”

Who do you think you are? More importantly, who do you think I am? I am a producer, an educator, an author, a producer, a director, a music supervisor, an arranger, and am far from being a student. I am working everyday to hone my skills and work cooperatively with other filmmakers in my area to make solid movies. You don’t have time for whining? Who are you supposed to be? Nobody has time for whining! Is that what you think I am doing? Then what kind of educator are you? “I’m too busy making a difference for indie film makers…” Then why do you come to this forum? 90% of the things people say on forums can be misconstrued as whining but are really the valid concerns of people. If you feel personally affronted by the words of your own comments, don’t comment. I never asked you for anything and you have never done anything for me, so your messianic salvation of the indie film scene means nothing to me here. Nothing.

But since you asked… This is what I am doing:
I am starting a production collective. I have family and friends who make films and across the world. We are attempting to make films that reach a global audience and are creating webisodes and TV shows to help get the word out. I have stared a number of websites and am waiting until I have great content before I take them wide scale. I am educating myself in lighting, editing, marketing, promotions, and all aspects of filmmaking and the business of film feasible so that I am informed about what I profess to love, and so I can educate others. I am also a middle school teacher, and I teach my students about filmmaking. I have 12 year olds who are monsters with the DVX and HVX, and a few 13 and 14 year olds who can light a set and actors in about 20 minutes. This is the honest to God truth. I am participating in forums that are supposed to help filmmakers find solutions to their problems and voice their concerns.
I am collaborating with other film makers here and across the country in creating sites that offer exclusive digital downloads and we already have a market base and a grassroots following, enough to fund our first year of operation. That’s who I am, and that’s some of what I’ve done… don’t ever question me again about my loyalty and love to and for independent film because I actually, really inspire the filmmakers of tomorrow, not metaphorically, every day.

I am creating my future, but was a little worried about a negative influence. Maybe I embellished, ok, my bad, but since when does embellishment invalidate an entire argument. Nothing is as simple as it seems. We sometimes do not take things as seriously as we should and no one was talking about this; I set out to bring up my concern. Now I am overreacting? I came to student filmmaker.com to find people to talk to and bounce ideas off of, in a spirit of collaboration, and I get some self important “film maker” that is so smart and so busy he completely missed the original question- HOW DO WE PROTECT WHAT WE HAVE?!?!?!?!?

I also said that I am not interested in crossing over. I don’t want Hollywood right now. I don’t want them looking at me. I want to preserve the outlets that I have as an independent film maker and teacher. Maybe it’s time that I stop wasting mine here, right, and go do something other than whine and post alarmist threads…

Pathetic.

He just said you were overreacting a little, he didn't ask you to rant about it. Plus if you're doing all that good stuff then you should have nothing to complain about. We understand the argument you're stating and it is a credible one, we're just posing it from a different viewpoint.

pharpsied - It sound like you are doing some really cool stuff. Way to go.

Same for you, BenB. Looks like you guys are making good contributions to the community and art as a whole.

All - Lets continue this spirited discussion/argument by discussing and arguing the subject matter, and avoiding from here on out questioning anyones personal dedication.

This thread has some well stated questions, concerns, disagreements and really good overall information. Lets not clutter it up with, or degrade it into, a flame war.

Network Sponsors

Back