Technology Will Not Save You

David Mullen ASC

Not to put a damper on the digital cheerleading that tends to go on here, but I want to put things in perspective. Evolution, whether in art, technology, or nature, is not synonymous with Continual Improvement. It merely describes change over time. We may see the gradual changeover from capturing images on to film to using digital cameras, but ultimately, it is not particularly earthshattering. It will not guarantee that movies will be better in time, not even technically better (not when you compare the visual quality of a modern movie to, let's say, "Lawrence of Arabia" or "2001".) It may not even guarantee that most movies will be cheaper or faster to make (because the costs of the originating medium are a small portion of overall feature film budgets except at the lowest level.)

I enjoy shooting digitally, but I have to smile as I sit on various panel discussions and I hear the inevitable comment from someone that "with digital, you can get the acting better" or "with digital, you can get shots exactly right", etc. You'd think if all of this were true, then the average digital movie would be superior in acting and directing to your average film-shot movie. But I see no signs of that, not even in the digital productions I have photographed. Some things get easier, some things don't change, some things get harder to do. Sometimes things go faster, but faster does not guarantee better.

Again, look at some of the greatest films of ALL TIME -- made with incredibly slow-speed film, gigantic cameras, etc. And of course this affected some of the types of movies made, at least stylistically (sets had to be larger than they realistically would be, night photography was limited, etc.) Yet with all of these handicaps, such amazing, powerful images were created.

How? Because these early pioneers were true artists. They had to create using the limited technology of the day, but art often thrives on restrictions -- hence why the "limitless" future promised by digital technology doesn't necessarily mean we will have better art. Maybe faster, easier to make art. Maybe through sheer volume, more of it might be exceptional (or it may be buried by all of that excessive production...)

Don't get too sidetracked by the hype and glamour of digital. Your success as artists (I'm not talking about professional success, just artistic success) depends on you developing those TIMELESS skills that all artists need. The ability to dream, to have new ideas, to imagine new worlds, the ability to SEE. Very little of that has to do with technology. Occasionally it may be a good idea to put down the lastest digital technology magazine and go to your local art museum or check out a classic movie and remind yourself about what's really important. Then you'll see that better tools will help you realize those ideas, but the tools are worthless if you have no ideas to implement.

To roughly paraphrase Roger Deakins (sorry Roger for misquoting you): "It's just a box with a lens. We need better scripts much more than better film stocks or digital cameras."

I'd like to start by agreeing with your main point...

However... I would hope that no-one on these boards believes that the advancements in digital filmmaking will make the actors, directors or scripts better by default.

Myself... I'm a huge fan of the use of digital tools in filmmaking... I love the thought of pushing the new technologies to create the images I wish to create...
However, I have not confused that with the impression that digital technology will make me a better writer, director, editor or a better producer... and I've yet to see a better acting performance sheerly from the use of digital cameras instead of film.
Roger was absolutely right... a camera is "just a box"... and without a talented group of artists working together behind the box, nothing good will come out of it.

Also... I understand that the digital revolution is attempting to generate an image of a "limitless" future... however, filmmakers have proven time and again that there will never be such a thing... as have artists in other avenues of artistic expression...

Technology, nor anything else, will ever provide an artist with the ability to express themselves without bounds...
Even myself, working on my small independent short films, have reached a limit point, accepted it, and worked within those limits...
granted, I pushed and prodded that line, extending it as far as I could... but I still found a point where the technologies available were still limiting me.

You're absolutely right to say that technology will never make anything better... because no-matter how high the resolutin, it still can not compensate for a terrible script, terrible actors, or anything else that is terrible.

But that is no reason to be affraid of embracing what digital technologies have to offer. There are things that digital filmmaking brings to cinema that celluloid filmmaking can not... and the same is true in reverse... much as you pointed out about the much older films with gigantic camera's.

The digital revolution, from where I sit, is not about replacing celluloid practices... rather, it's about adding yet another tool to the filmmakers repetoir.

In the end... film is all about the collaborative efforts of the cast & crew, working together to bring a story to life, visually.

Damn, in trying to reply to the last post, I accidentally deleted it after I had accidentally written into it instead of replying to it. The dangers of giving someone like me editorial control (I thought I was clicking on "edit" on my own post, not his post, then I tried undoing my mistake...) Sorry! Maybe you could repost it?

The accidentally deleted post mentioned that the Dogma films would not have been possible without digital technology. Here's my reply:

Well, you're forgetting "Mifune" which was a Dogma feature shot on film. And "The Celebration" was originally conceived to be shot in Super-8. And "Breaking the Waves", pre-Dogma but similar in approach, was shot in Super-35.

The Dogma movement was not so dissimilar from Cinema Verite and the French New Wave in terms of using handheld cameras and mostly available light. Digital just made it easier, but the same approach could be done with film (as "Mifune" proved).

Certainly there is a new "digital aesthetic" emerging from these DV movies, and even in big projects like "Collateral" which is exciting. But it merely ADDS to the overall artistic choices and tools that go into making a movie; it does not really reinvent the wheel. We're still only baby steps away from D.W.Griffith in terms of cinematic language.

My point is that don't think that technology will free you and allow you to become great artists. What you need lies within you, not outside of you. And the technology to express yourself with is here NOW, digital or film.

I get tired of reading young filmmakers who keep putting off their dream projects until "someone invents a $2000 16x9 HD camcorder that does 24P, etc. so I can make my movie..." It just an excuse. If you love filmmaking, you'll use anything, your Grandma's old Super-8, that crappy VHS camcorder in your friend's garage, whatever, and start the learning process. Develop yourself as an artist and the tools will follow.

I'm absolutely with you there...
I may be a very young filmmaker... but the number of lazy wanna-be filmmakers in this state makes me sick...

Just the other night I was at a small screening for a local documentary film... and the director was talking about how it took him 7 years to make... because he couldn't find someone to make the movie for him...

and he was serious!

To top it off... he had another idea for a documentary... and I'm going to quote him now, word for word... "Now I just have to find someone to make it."
He's not even talking about finding a budget... he's talking about finding someone else to actually make it...
it's just sickening...

The tools are there...
and if you can't even afford, or don't have access to an actual motion camera of some sort...
get a still camera, take a seeries of pictures... put them into your computer digitally... and animate the images... stop-motion filmmaking with still camera's... it's possible... different, but it could be fun... who knows.

Anyways... I also agree that digital was not the reason that Dogma happened... because it had been done (similarly) with film, as you just pointed out.

A 2000 dollar camera would be interesting... but then you'd only find yourself putting it off until that brand new technology of that time was available for 1500 bucks...

filmmakers make film... they dont' contemplate film... film contemplators are something much more similar to the audience.

Go forth and make film... in whatever manner you can!

Mr. Mullen,

With the example of dogma films I just wanted to state that there are some films/waves that starts with a sort of "technical revolution" in their background. Like in the case of french new wave with the new handheld arri cameras.
I haven't read about the technical background of the dogma films, and anyway, dogma "rules" have been broken by von Trier for a couple of times...and so what.
Truffaut did the same...'he betrayed novelle vague' - some says.

I totally agree with your statement in this topic.

Since I'm from Hungary this is natural...our film history is not about technology. And I can be very proud of it, as I am. (From your thorough film list I assume that you're quite familiar with the history of european film.)

I just saw 'In cold blood' today. I was amazed by Canrad L. Hall's images. I must see all of his works. I only saw 'American Beauty', 'Road to Perdition' and 'Morituri'. And 'Butch Cassidy...' cca. 15 years ago...

souldn't we start a Mr. Hall topic as well? I would have a few questions about his works...

thank you,

Mr. Mullen,

I'm very glad that you started this topic.
Your thoughts sounds like an european filmmaker's...
where did you study? Who did you study from?

thank you again,

I'm more or less self-taught, although I did got to CalArts and get an MFA in Filmmaking there -- but I was 27 when I went and had been making films and teaching myself for over a decade by then.

My cinematography professor at CalArts was Kris Malkiewicz, who graduated from Poland's Lodz film school.

A discussion on Conrad Hall probably belongs in another forum than Digital Cinematography...

When you taught yourself for that 10 year period, what were your sources of reference and inspiration?
Does any of it still reflect in your work today...?

Feel free to start a new topic on Hall in the Cinematography Section.
I'm only familiar with with his work on "American Beauty" and "Road to Perdition". Whoever wants to start it, Tom, Mr. Mullen?

I started out in high school making Super-8 films, mostly lame science fiction attempts but I built spaceship sets and models, painted matte paintings, sewed costumes, etc. I thought I might go into visual effects.

I bought the first issue of Cinefex (Star Trek: The Motion Picture / Alien) in 1980 (the year I graduated high school) and have been reading it ever since, although articles now on CGI tend to put me to sleep. Started realizing that I was more interested in how effects shots could contribute to the mood and atmosphere rather than the details of optical printing, etc. (which I studied anyway.) I remember my favorite efx shot in "Empire Strikes Back" being a low-angle of the Imperial Walkers towering over the camera, semi-sillhouette against a cloudy, hazy sky. It looked so REAL. I then read it was all done with lighting a painted sky backdrop and putting a fog filter on the lens to blow out the sky a little around the stop-motion Walkers. In other words, it was more the basic cinematography that made the shot great.

I started out as a pre-med student at UVA and then transferred to UCLA, hoping to get into the film school. When that failed to happen, I went into the English Lit department instead to work on my writing skills. But some friends had gotten into the USC film program so I started secretly shooting their Super-8 projects for them (since I owned the camera and knew how to use it.) I spent my years at UCLA reading in the Theater Arts Library -- during that time, I read every issue of American Cinematographer going back to 1927. And I read the 1970's to present issues several times, memorizing them more or less. Books were important too, like "Masters of Light", "Film Lighting", and for directing, I loved the Hitchcock-Truffaut interview book. I probably learned more about directing by watching every Hitchcock movie ever made over and over again.

After graduation, I spent some years working in an office trying to pay off my student loans. On the weekends, I would make these complicated Super-8 short films. Not sci-fi anymore, but sort of art films in color and b&w, trying to learn editing and lighting, etc. Had my own homemade dolly that could do a straight move on 12' wooden planks.

The 'Hitchcock-Truffaut' is one of my favourite interview book. Some of my friends use it as a reference to directing...and it works.

Mr. Mullen,
Reading your early filmmaking methods I realized how much I like the first (model) shot in 'The Lady Vanishes'.

I subscribed to American Cinematographer, I joined some mailing lists on the web, I'm reading technical books to study cinematography on my own.
Now I feel like I need something for my 'mind's artistic side' (history of art, etc.). I tried some course at the university, but they were too lexical, weren't concentrating on the images.

Can you suggest some books, links, etc.? (I read a very good book on composition by Arnheim, for instance)

what do you think of drawing? I started some years ago, but I failed...I haven't have the patience.
I take photos (b&w mainly), but not enough...

Perhaps, it's a stupid question, but how do you watch movies? I try not to look at the cinematography at the first time. If I succeed, it's a good film. If I manage for the second time as well, It's a really good movie (in some of Hitchcock's and Wylder's films I always fail...). Although, It doesn't mean that If I can spot the cinematography, it can't be good...
I saw 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' some week ago after cca. 20 years, I couldn't stop watching the lighting schemes. But this is a great film, a real 'magical cinema'.

When I see a movie for the first time, I just watch it for pleasure, I don't analyze the cinematography although something stands out to my eyes now and then, and of course I notice the overall look. But noticing the cinematography doesn't take away from me following the story -- it sort of gets filed in the back of my brain.

Going to art museums is a way of thinking about images in a different way. Looking at art books, still photography, etc.

I found this lovely book, a collection of early 20th Century Autochromes called "The Art of the Autochrome: The Birth of Color Photography" by John Wood.

One of the most acclaimed hungarian cinematographers, Lajos Koltai, always tell about his favourite teacher of history of art/fine art at the film acadamy if interviewed. How much they (students) studied from her for the lighting/composition.
I guess you're very familiar with polish film history as well.
I'm very fond of Wajda's visual language (Wedding is a unique one), Kieslowski is outstanding (his later works as well, 'Three colours' for example).
That's why I'm looking for the artistic values as well.

I def agree that Tech will not save you but I think there are two huge changes in the last 20 years or so that have moved us forward and made it easier for less fortunate people to make movies. I don't know if they would qualify as earth shattering but they are pretty big. One is the reduction in cost and access to cameras that will capture high def big screen quality images. 20 years ago it would cost between 80,000.00 to 500,000.00 thousand for cameras to get the same quality image you can get for 1200 dollars or less today. The other is the digital distribution with the advent and use of the global Internet. I watched a YouTube video that was in HD last night. Pretty amazing. 20 years ago the images were fuzzy pixelated and no where near the quality we get today.

Network Sponsors

Back