Sunrise / Sunset

F

FilmUnited

I am preparing to shoot a scene which takes place at sunset, however the location looks out over to the east coast of the ocean and will be filmed at sunrise. Any tips for making sure my sunrise looks like a sunset?

Film stock will be Fuji 64D.

This scene is not just of the sun "setting" but a couple having a conversation as the watch it set... would the oranges on the actors faces be too exaggerated if I use an 85 with a daylight stock? I want the scene to have a very moody almost dreamlike light, and script is about a character and their relationship to the sun, so the sunlight should be a character of it's own during the scene. Suggestions on filters / techniques would be welcome.

Thanks,

Corey

IMO using an 85 would lend it a stylized look. You could go with an 85A or an 81EF for a less intense warming effect. These filters will help you if you get a lot of mist/haze from the ocean which tends to be bluish. You could opt to let it go and get your look in color timing.

81 ef is fine if using tungsten stock.

If you shoot in the shade, mind that temperature will be very high, so you might need a filter as well. But since you use Dlight stock, you should'nt need to filter if you shoot in the lighten area and will be even a bit warm at this time of day. If you have a non standard temperature and plan to color time, you should over expose a bit, and mind that the correction won't be so efficient in the low lights (depends on the color timing machine you have).

If you have the background that is warm and the foreground cold, it may begin to be a problem... You can use degraded filters in some cases in such a situation (blue to coral)

Network Sponsors

Back