student license

757james

Whats up everybody. Im new so I don't know if my issue has been covered on here before, but here goes...

I have a documentary I made in a video techniques class last semester that I would like to enter in some film festivals. However, there is music used in it which is not original and is copyrighted (like the beat to a 2pac song). What are the rules about entering film festivals? isnt there some type of pass for student films? could somebody enlighten me?
thanks

I've been told different stories on this issue.
First one being, that as a student you're entitled to sampling copyrighted music as long as it does not extend beyond 19 seconds of the song. It sounded weird, but I took it as fact considering I was given this bit of information from one of my professors.
Then again, I'm later told by another professor that as a student, one is actually entitled to sampling as much copyrighted music as they want, as long as the student isn't making money or receiving some form of gift or reward that equates to monetary compensation. So, in other words, if you're entering a festival with this work, where you might be rewarded with something that's of some monetary value, i.e. camera, computer, gift certificate, etc. then your work should be all original, or at least have the appropriate forms that give your work the permission for extended rights to the songs.
Many festivals now outline this stuff in the submission forms, making it clear that you are submitting work that is entirely original. Some forms are more detailed than others, but essentially if the student is featuring other work without permission and the appropropriate forms/documents of proof of right do not accompany it, then the film will not be accepted, plain and simple.

Copyrighted music, no matter the length used in your film, is copyrighted.
It really makes no difference if you are only showing it in class... however, as soon as you go for the internet, or film festivals, etc... you need to acquire a license.

Steps to take for this.

#1 - Find out who the Sync & Master Rights holders are... how do you do this? I recommend clearance.com (Evan M Greenspan Inc.) They're great, and have a free resource for searching for rights holder information.

#2 - Send a letter requesting clearance... if you want it to be for a student film then you need to head it properly (ie: STUDENT FILM MUSIC LICENSE REQUEST)

#3 - You need to be patient and polite... and direct... make sure they know what you want in a license/need in a license.

#4 - Be ready to pay out some cash... licensing is not usually cheap... but if you're polite and honest, the licensing company may be willing to work out a low-cost deal for you.

I licensed a Nancy Sinatra song for my short film "The Duel"... I managed to acquire a festival license with internet privelages... the term was 1 year and it cost me several hundred dollars... It worked out pretty well for me though.

Best of luck!

Network Sponsors

Back