Stranger than Fiction film, unusual.

Mr Taylor

Stranger than Fiction film, unusual.

I just saw the above mentioned film on TV last night.
What do you guys think of it?
Films with a unique premise are a must watch for me.
In this case the reality shift where the character in the story knows he is a character in a story.
Falls into the style where Ferris B talks into the camera or the boy in The Never Ending Story is saved from the bullies by the dragon.
I call it nested reality.
Also I just like comedy.
It does bother me though, when authors write stories about authors or when directors shoot films about directors.
This kind of nested reality seems egocentric.
Vanity press comes to mind.
It’s this sort of egocentric view of the world that leads to the films biggest problem.
The key choice that the main character (Mr Crick) has to make is just not logical when considered from the point of view that same character.
Possibly an author might make this choice, but an accountant would not.
The film was well received and the screenplay got some kudos, but personally I had a big problem with the way each of the characters did not act the way a person would act in a given situation.
I don’t know, maybe you could take exactly the same script and change the sets and mood and timing and then everything would gel.
The wrist watch, perhaps it could have all moved around that rather than the type?
I don’t know.
I won’t spoil it by telling you any more.

If people in movies acted the way real people did then we wouldn't watch them we'd watch the news and many times movies would be generally short or boring. The exciting people in your life don't act the way "normal" people do nor do movie characters.

-Nate

Network Sponsors

Back