Steadicam Question

marcjb401

I was wondering if anyone knew how to outfit the $14 steadicam for an XL2. The one on the site look like it can't handle the weight, so I was wondering if I just needed to add more counter weight or anything else. Thanks.

-Marc

For bigger cameras like that the $14 stabilizer (steadicam is a whole different ballpark) doesn't work all that well. Actually, it doesn't work all that well for small cameras as well.

You want to look into several different options:
-- a sled and gimbal system
-- a home-made Fig Rig (google it and you'll find stuff about it)
-- steadicam system (these are hard to make or expensive to buy, so might be a last resort)
-- track and dolly system (cheap to make, though curved track can be difficult)

With a camera like that, I thought it was shoulder mounted, so that should help you stabilize from the start. The dolly or steadicam systems are best for a really dead stable camera movement, but take time to set up and operate.

StediCam for XL2

StediCam for XL2

I tend to agree with Ralck.

I have a similar style of rig and that struggles with the XL2/XLH1 type cameras. You really do need a proper rig Glidecam, StediCam for those bigger Canon's or look at the alternatives he has already mentioned.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm def. building a dolly system, so that will help with a lot of shots. I also think my father and I are going to make our own glidecam knock-off (oh boy, father-son bonding). If it turns out well enough, I'll post pictures and instructions, and all that jazz.

Sounds like an excellent plan. Check out homebuiltstabilizers.com if you haven't already. Also CodyDeegan.com is a place you can buy some DIY steadicam plans.

Keep in mind though a few things: buy high quality bearings and you won't be disappointed (they really are worth the extra few dollars for them). A good quality bearing is between 10-25 US dollars.
Also, keep in mind that DIY steadicam rigs are rather difficult to build, and also don't work as well as a professional rig. I've talked to a few people who have built them and they often say that theirs 'never really worked the way they wanted it to'.
I don't mean to discourage you (I want to build one myself so I'd love to see your design and build!), I just want you to know that they can be quite tricky to build.

Network Sponsors

Back