standards for t.v.

Lazlo

I have been asked to DP a t.v. pilot, and I was interested in the visual standards/etiquette for shooting something of this nature. I don't watch much t.v.. I almost feel stupid asking such a basic question, but is there a frame rate expected of television (i.e. 24fps, 60i), or format expected for a pilot? I've just never shot anything like it basically, and I thought since you were about to start shooting a series, you might offer some advice and such. Thanks.

24 fps is standard for shooting film for NTSC broadcast. 24P (23.98P actually) if you are shooting digitally. This is for dramatic narrative work traditionally shot on film.

It is common to shoot film for transfer to 16x9 HD for mastering; in many cases, you may have to also frame for a 4x3 center-extraction for 4x3 full-frame SD broadcast even though you master in 16x9 full-frame HD. Unless you get lucky and the network agrees to transmit the full 16x9 image (as a 1.78 letterboxed image in 4x3.)

Shooting in 3-perf 35mm or Super-16 is common since full aperture is close to 16x9 proportions, although a few shows still shoot 4-perf 35mm. Or 24P HD.

Also, if you're shooting video, make sure you've got a waveform handy so you can check if you're "broadcast safe" (between 7.5 and 100 IRE).

Network Sponsors

Back