Sound out of Synch

Michael Bruder

<style type="text/css">*<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> Serious Problem: Audio and video out of synch.
Not because of the position of the audio track in the timeline. It seems to be an internal audio-file problem.

Equippment

Camera: Canon EOS 550D.
Recorder: ZOOM H4n. (sound captured separately with on board mic, device was not connected to Canon)

„Clapper“: Cup of glass since I don't habe a clapper.
Editing software: Final Cut Pro

Documentation: Screenshot attached here

Original sound: Canon EOS 550D, blue track

Captured sound: ZOOM H4n, green track

For a better presentation i have switched off the video track.

Hallo there,

For my videoshot I have used a cup of glass instead a real clapper. I used a knife to hit the glass 5X (5 times = 5 peaks). You can see the peaks in the screenshot very clear. For a better control I left the original sound from the 550D in the track.

The problem:

Trimming first peak (= first hit on the glass with the knife) of the sound of H4n with „clapper“ in line, in this case it is also in line with the peak of EOS 550D, so no problem. First peak of H4n and peak of 550D face each other, looks good. But starting from the second peak, the sound starts becoming out of synch very little. Almost only visible when zooming in. Two second later, the differenz between the 550D-peak and the H4n-peak is now visible without zooming in. So the distance between original peak and the H4n-peak increases frame by frame in an arithmetic way. Counting the frames i figured out the following performance: Second peak is like 1 frame difference ahead, third peak is 1 frame + 1frame = 2 frames ahead (1, 1+1, 1+1+1, 1+1+1+1,...). So the synch problem is not a proportional one – otherwise it would be easy by just shifting the track in line with the clapper, job done -. I already tried to solve the problem by export the H4n-audio file in two different codes (acc, wav) and two sampling rates (48khz 44.1khz) so I got acc with 48khz and 44.1khz and wav with 48khz and 44.1khz, makes four Audio-files which i draged all in the time line. The waves and peaks still were all in line among each other but not with the "clapper" in the video and not with the 550D-sound.

So the problem is not the position (shifting right and left) of the track in the timeline but an internal audio-track problem i guess. I have tried the delay function and speed adjustment without success.

Is someone suffering the same problem or know the problem? Does anyone of you know how to fix it (i. e. with software or something)?

Below are the specification of the sound file from ZOOM H4n and from EOS 550D.

Screenshot attached here

With desperated greetings
Michael :(

Specifications

To get specifications I have used MediaInfo Mac: "MediaInfo Mac is an application to get several pieces of information from different kinds of media files and it uses a custom Universal Binary build of the opensource MediaInfo library as its core."

Original Audio-File EOS 550D:
Audio Stream #1
Codec................................... ..........PCM
Codec (FourCC)................................ ....sowt
Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR
Number of Audio Channels..........................2
Sampling Rate.................................... .48.0 KHz
Bit Depth................................... ......16 bits

Audio-File ZOOM H4n:

General / Container Stream #1
Total Audio Streams for this File.................1
Audio Codecs Used.................................PCM
File Format.................................. .....Wave
Total Stream BitRate..............................1 411.2 Kbps
Audio Stream #1
Codec................................... ..........PCM
Codec (FourCC)................................ ....1
Audio Stream Length...............................11m n 12s 565ms
Audio Stream BitRate..............................1 411.2 Kbps
Number of Audio Channels..........................2
Sampling Rate.................................... .44.1 KHz
Audio Stream Delay................................1mn 6s
Audio Stream Size.................................113 MiB (100%)

Screenshot attached here

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-09-19 um 12.32.27.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-09-19 um 12.32.27.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 113
Sampling Rate.................................... .44.1 KHz

You say it's not the problem, but sound for film/video should be 48kHz.
If you have the option use 24bit for the superior headroom. You should use these
settings on the Zoom.

Are these multiple takes or one single take?

Hallo Bob, thank you very much for your help. My Zoom was really set to 44.1kHz. Now I have set it up to 48kHz/24bit and it worked! Video and sound is now in synch. Without your help I wouldn't have made it. But there is one thing I have to mention! My EOS 550D supports 30p, 25p, 24p, 60p, 50p. But the specification in the manual adds to the values: "30p: 29.97fps, 25p: 25.00 fps, 24p: 23.976 fps, 60p: 59.94 fps, 50p: 50.00 fps".Today I have testet out all these settings - it took me some hours - shooting my clapper in 4 Takes. The result: Video and sound will only be in synch if 550D is set to the fps with the red numbers (i. e. 24p: 23.976 fps, highlighted with red by myself). The remaining fps-numbers won't work. So the values behind the comma must not be zero. Only then the external sound can be synch with the videos.

Do you know a software I can recode the videos down from for example 50p to 50,96p, I don't know the exact values behind the comma?

Have a nice day
Michal

I'm just an audio guy; when it comes to cameras (and video editing) I wouldn't know an F-stop from a bus stop.
Eight/ten years ago I did have to do audio pull-ups/pull-downs to match 44.1 audio to video. Now that most audio
recorders do 48kHz it's not a problem.

99.99% of the projects on which I have worked were 24fps. If you think about it 48kHz audio is a multiple of
24fps, so this makes life easy. With the exception of CD standard and MP3 formats digital audio recorders record
at multiples of 48kHz - 96kHz and 192kHz.

Important posting update!

Important posting update!

Oh yes, I forgot, 48 is really double of 24.

Update
I have to update my posting from yesterday to not confuse other readers here. Yesterday I reported that audio synch works only with videos of fps with a value larger than zero after the comma. Tests I performed today again contradicts my previous undertaken tests. Audio synch works also with 26p and 50p and not just with fps highlighted in red (above posting). I don't know what I did wrong but I can imagine that I have used the wrong audio track for the video yesterday.

So only one thing has to be taken care of: setting the fieldrecorder to 48kHz that's it :)

Network Sponsors

Back