Sound for my new project

coca-film

Planning a short but fairly eventful scripted project to be shot next year on two Sony HVR A1E HD Cameras. I have one problem, sound is kind of foreign to me., as I have yet to really venture into it in detail with any previous projects, am used to shooting mostly documentaries and real life events, just used the on camera mic to pick up audio.

Any specific audio equipment that works especially well with this camera?

I want a close personal feel throughout the film and my budget will be fairly small so will be looking to hire.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

If you are looking to hire someone then you need not worry about the gear working with your camera. Most likely the person you hire will have a digital audio recorder. The audio will be imported into your NLE and you will sync it there. It will be up to you to be sure that frame/sample rates are compatible, every scene is visually & verbally slated, and that copious, detailed audio & video logs are kept on the set.

The daily cost can range from from $1,000+ per day for a "Hollywood" production sound team (which does not include equipment rental costs) down to $100 or less per day (including gear) for someone just breaking into the biz; some will even do it for expenses and experience. Just be aware that those on the low end of the scale will not have access to the numerous high-end, high-tech options available to the more expensive experienced professionals.

The "close personal feel" will be accomplished by your shooting approach and working together with your sound team - both production and post - to accomplish that, and that starts during preproduction.

Thanks for your input, you seem to have some impressive knowledge on the subject. when I said about hiring, however, I meant the equipment, I dont think hiring a sound team for the (probably) 5 or more days I plan to shoot in plus equipment costs would be within my budget but its a very interesting thought. Do you think this would be the way to go (if I can find the money) seeing as I have little or no knowledge of sound recording, sync-ing or anything else (I specify in video editing). The last thing I want to do is make a great looking movie and spend money I barely have and be let down by the sound.

Thanks for your help by the way.

As I said, you can look for another up-and-comer like yourself. S/he will have a minimal sound kit, a basic knowledge of signal flow and will still be expanding their skill set as a boom-op. (Trust me, becoming even a good boom-op takes a lot of practice; I've done it and it's really hard.) However minimal their experience, they will know a lot more than you do and will take at least the burden of production sound off of your shoulders.

Network Sponsors

Back