Some Insight For New Filmmakers

Steaditwo

Hi Everyone! This Julian Chojnacki and this is my first post to the forum. You may remember me from the 3D seminars I've given in the past. I've worked as a Director, Cinematographer, Camera Operator, Steadicam Operator and Underwater Operator for over 35 years. I've worked on projects ranging from small indie films to high budget complex feature films.
I'm posting here to give all of you an opportunity to ask questions, make comments or simply have conversations with me regarding this ever changing and challenging industry that we're in. Anything from.... 'how to'.... to 'the politics of the set'.... to 'working with actors' .....to 'what's catering like on a 50 million dollar movie'!

Standing by for your best shot!

Attachments

• CN-5-15 (1).jpg
    CN-5-15 (1).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 146
This was the same underwater system that James Cameron used. It's a 3D camera for the 3D film, 'The Final Destination'. Two Sony Digital Capture cameras inside the housing, with a fixed IO.

I'm planning a 3 day shoot for a short film in Jacksonville, North Carolina in either mid July or early August. Our goal is to have a rough edit for submission to Sundance by August 31st.

We are shooting outdoors so the concern is the summer heat. Most of the talent and crew are working on no/lo-deferred and we only have a budget of $5,000.

Could you offer some ways of dealing with the safety of cast and crew that are low cost and effective or would we be better off aiming for a September shoot to enter and try and premier for the Tribeca festival?

Delaying to a time of year when the weather is more comfortable is the obvious first choice. However, if you can't move your schedule, there are a few little things you can do. On set aluminum tents. Low cost and easy to construct. Very mobile. Shade for cast, crew and equipment. I've shot in the Carolinas during summer months and it's very difficult when the temp gets up into the 100's. We had metal buckets of ice water with after shave lotion mixed in. Small rags soaking in the buckets. Crew and cast would wrap them around their necks. Helped a bit. Also, small battery operated hand fans for the cast. Helps with keeping them cool and may reduce makeup meltdown. I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to deal with this challenge, but those are some of things I've had good experience with.
Good luck.