Short of any ADR what's the best way (program etc.) to

C

Christina

reduce the wind on audio that has already been recorded on a DAT. What programs will make my audio sound better etc etc.? Thanks in advanced.

Also, what type of mic is good to shoot in the wind, and does the kind of windscreen matter, as long as it covers the full length of the mic? Thanks

Windy Audio

Windy Audio

When your audio is already recorded and wind is part of your track. There is an inexpensive Soundsoap program which can get you started on cleaning up the audio. If you have more dineros Waves makes a series of pluggins for Pro Tools and other Audio editing systems to find the noise and clean it out. Also studios that have the Cedar system should be able to do an amazing job of minimizing wind.

For location recording with a boom. It's important to have the right filter for the job. Pro Sound Services has an excellent support staff to get you the right filter for the job. They even custome designed a filter for whenit's raining outside! The Senhiser 416 shotgun is the usual standard for boom mics.

Bryant Falk,

Thanks for your answer you seem really informed about it. I'm glad to hear there is software that will help clean wind up, because I asked one of my professors and he was like probably not. Much appreciated.

find the frequencies where the wind sound is residing and tweak them - you can avoid spending a lot of money on expensive filters if you learn to mess around in pro tools or soundtrack or FCP or whatever you're working on - just find run through the freqs with a clip of your sound on a loop and see where the sound is more prevelent

good luck!

Pro tools would be the best program

Pro tools would be the best program

Every other program has one thing or another which it's good at. Pro tools is the most rounded. LE is the basic system for pro tools. If you want to do surround sound you'll need TDM or HD systems but they are very expensive.

Network Sponsors

Back