Shooting on MiniDV

I

IUPhilmMaker

I'm shooting a low low low budget feature that I wrote on MiniDV for my schools student film festival and I was wondering if there was an inexpensive editing software that I could use or buy that people prefer. I have JVC camera and so it came with an editing program but I'm not sure if that will be as involved as I need it to be. Also I could use any help I can get on how to get the most out of shooting on miniDV. Hey thanks!

Patrick

How inexpensive?
Are you on a Mac or PC?

Since you are a student, you can get discounts on software from select sites that have just about all of the major editing, effects, design, and animation applications for about half off the MSRP.
I'd post a direct link for you, but we're forbidden from doing so on these forums...
If you're using a Mac, you'll have to get student discounted software directly through their site.

Also, what software do you currently have that came with the camera? You're not working with one of JVC's HDV cams are you? Because with JVC's HDV camcorders they have to issue a proprietary editing application that can process the MPEG2 format. Of course, there were recent announcements made by Adobe and a few others who now support the format, but those applications run anywhere between 500-1000. But, with a student discount, you'd get it for anywhere around 200-500, of course that's all assuming you're using HDV.

If you're just shooting regular DV, which you probably are, then there are plenty of other choices out there, but you need to know what exactly you want to get out of the application.

What's the projected date and location for the festival :?:

More info..

More info..

It's the Indiana University Union Board Student Film Festival in Bloomington, Indiana. I'm not sure what the submission deadline will be but at any rate, I'm going to enter my little movie in there. It's going to be extrememly low budget, in fact the most money I intend to spend will be spent on the editing software as I already have a 1200 camera. It's not a HD. The software that came with it is the JVC Multimedia Navigator and the software I will be using is called JLP VideoProducer. I was looking at myabe buying the Pinnacle software but I need some help as to what would be best. I'm working on a Dell and I'm looking to do your basic editing stuff, voice overs, soundtrack, add effects that kind of stuff, nothign too exorbinant but enough to make the film look decent and professional enough for MiniDV. Anyway help at all would be more than appreciated.

Patrick

That's cool,

Pinnacle’s Liquid Edition is really nice; the retail is about midrange, but the student discount makes it much more reasonable. They also have a low-end editor, Pinnacle Studio, which is really cheap. I'd suggest Liquid Edition though, because I’ve seen its' real-time action, and the layout strikingly resembled Final Cut Pro, I love Final Cut Pro. It has a ton of real-time features that beat all of the major editing apps, and it has some phenomenal color correcting tools.

Network Sponsors

Back