Shifting Winds

Austin_G

Name
Austin Guerrero
Date
August, 2020
This is the first major short film I made in Utah. This was an evolution from an original script idea I had the year before.

Gear:
  1. Sony A7S II
  2. Gimbal
  3. Drone
  4. H6 Zoom (and required audio and video cables)
  5. Boom pole
  6. Rhode Shotgun Mic

Computer:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Software: DaVinci Resolve

I must admit, the ending took me by surprise :)

Was it a 'good' surprise? Or 'bad' surprise? To be honest I was a bit worried the ending would be an issue.
It was a happy ending positive surprise :D

The atmosphere at the beginning of the film was sad and a bit tragic and the end was as if she made it out of that sadness because of her best friend. Such a heart warming story!

Just by looking at the gear you used, I can see how much you worked on producing this short film. And the result is very good 💪
What confuses me is the ending because it is happy but it gives me a vibe as if the girl is not so happy or as if she is lost or maybe depressed deep down.

Just by looking at the gear you used, I can see how much you worked on producing this short film. And the result is very good 💪
What confuses me is the ending because it is happy but it gives me a vibe as if the girl is not so happy or as if she is lost or maybe depressed deep down.
Thanks!

And I'm glad you caught on to that.

I wanted the ending to be happy but I didn't want it to be totally "clean". I talked with Kaylee (the main actress) and asked her how she would feel about this scene and where the character would be mentally. She really felt like the character wouldn't be completely over the death of her best friend, and since she's remembering her friend at the end, we both went for a melancholy feel.

Thanks!

And I'm glad you caught on to that.

I wanted the ending to be happy but I didn't want it to be totally "clean". I talked with Kaylee (the main actress) and asked her how she would feel about this scene and where the character would be mentally. She really felt like the character wouldn't be completely over the death of her best friend, and since she's remembering her friend at the end, we both went for a melancholy feel.
I saw the movie then read the comments.....wow...what a story...you managed to put into your movie everything that you planned to

Is there a specific criterion to be considered a 'student'? I feel as if I'll be a student of cinema for the rest of my life.
You need to be in school / University :)

Great work! I loved the overall theme of wind; the opening shot, and the transition shots which bring us into the ending at the playground were my favorite parts. I wondered if the wind was serving as a connection back to the original trauma, being that she rememberers the wind that was present when waiting for her friend, and then remembers her friend afterwards as being embedded in the wind, and so the wind brings back these thoughts and trauma. The ending also was perfect in its biter-sweetness. Well done! (also have to mention how phenomenal the low-budget hit and run was)

Network Sponsors

Back