Setting up a Website

John Jaquish

If I want to set up a website (with my own domain name) to post my videos to be available for download, but I barely have any money to spend on it, what would be the best way to go about doing this?

probably DIY-style but keep in mind that design does matter. choose one of the cheaper web hosts that gives you a good amount of bandwidth. some web hosts offer free domain name registration. some web hosts offer 24/7 support and will answer any and all questions. also there's bartering of skills if you need help creating or maintaining the website. also, there are a lot of free tutorials on the web. how much of the work would you be able to do?

Thanks for the reply. I've tried to make sites in the past, but never with my own domain name. The way I've tried designing it before hasn't given me enough freedom, but at the same time, I wouldn't really be comfortable with designing an entire site, as I haven't had much experience with web graphics, some HTML coding experience, but that's it. So basically, I'm looking for something that will give me freedom, but will also provide me with options for a good-looking site if I'm unable to make it on my own.

maybe what you could do then is find someone good but affordable who could create for you a customized template that is easy for you to update and maintain yourself. have you tried posting an ad in for instance the studentfilmmakers classifieds? Since you said that you barely have any money to spend on it maybe you can barter skills. but you don't want to be stuck with a bad design. you know the saying, you get what you pay for... be careful because sometimes when you pay nothing, you get exactly that -- nothing.

another idea is you could research free templates on the web, but always read terms of use, and make sure it's something that you could easily update and maintain (if there is no tech support or designer at the other end available to help if you have any questions...)

Blog?

Blog?

What about one of the free Blogger sites to start? You can upload video to those, no?

Stacey*

I'd recommend Yahoo as a good web host. I used them for my old site, aliensandidiots.com (no longer available unfortunatly) and it worked really well. A good amount of bandwith, easy site making tools (if you need them), and tons of email adresses. So if your looking for a domain host, I would try them first.

another option

another option

If budget and experience are both a problem, why don't you just set up Web pages at www.youtube.com and www.myspace.com. It's free. Both will get you a Web page with lots of options and easy input screens with no programming knowledge necessary; and the best part, all of your video trailers or shorts can be easily uploaded the posted for public view. While I have a Web background and was able to create a film Web site from scratch - see http://www.hauntedrandrstation.com, I also put up pages on these two sites, as well as a few others, to promote the film.

I set up our site http://www.buckledcranium.com/

Did it all in dreamweaver - didn't have to learn any html.

a friend who knows more about website helped with buying the domain, and reccommended a good server rental company, we use telnap its based in north america and is very reliable.

Setting up the forum, which is just like this one was a little complicated too, but once you set it all up managing it all is no harder then managing a blog or web profile, keeping it updated regularly and promoting it is hard work however - and nessicary if you want to keep your visitors coming back.

Luckily I was apt at photoshop so designing it was easy, making it work however was a little challenging.

The latest and greatest trick I've learnt is using this easily copied and pasted script to add ratings and comments to virtually anything, since i had no idea how to code that its been a fantastic addition.

http://js-kit.com/comments/?wow

hope that was helpfull

This has to be a starting point

This has to be a starting point

Setting up a good web site really has to be a part of your marketing for films and for self promotion.

Network Sponsors

Back