set design/film

G

research, research, reasearch! get as many pics as you can of whatever the films setting, look, period, clothing etc. read about the place, time of the films story. just get as much info as you can about the time period and place of the films story. these will serve as your references when you actually production design your film. since most film is a reflection of reality, your ideas will need to be reality-based. then after you have designed the look for your film, research some more about places to rent things you will need to realize your design. you may need to talk to carpenters if you will be building sets...get a budget breakdown going for your design...then its just a matter of drawing or collaging pics for your design and presenting it to your producer. good luck

Hey designpulse,

I read your posting on StudentFilmmakers.com about set design…I’m producing an indie sci fi film now and am building the set myself from scratch.. You can see the work here on my production blog:

http://www.markcheng.com/insite.php?thisSection=Locations&theID=92

Our set’s designs were all done by me, the director/producer, in part because I didn’t know anyone who could design what I wanted for the budget I had. Some of the issues/themes that came up when designing it include:

• How to make the set look authentic without using authentic materials..instead of real metal plates and shielding, we used particle board and plastic container lids and painted them black with drybrushed silver
• Buying cheap, flimsy material to pass as sturdy materials. Our ceiling looks like metal when it’s actually Styrofoam.
• Re-purposing objects so that they look like other objects..I touched upon this above with the use of plastic lids as armor plating..
• You mentioned break away walls, we have a removable wall too so that we can get the angles we need in such a small locale.

Hope this helps you! Good luck.

Mark

markcheng said:
Hey designpulse,

I read your posting on StudentFilmmakers.com about set design…I’m producing an indie sci fi film now and am building the set myself from scratch.. You can see the work here on my production blog:

http://www.markcheng.com/insite.php?thisSection=Locations&theID=92

Our set’s designs were all done by me, the director/producer, in part because I didn’t know anyone who could design what I wanted for the budget I had. Some of the issues/themes that came up when designing it include:

• How to make the set look authentic without using authentic materials..instead of real metal plates and shielding, we used particle board and plastic container lids and painted them black with drybrushed silver
• Buying cheap, flimsy material to pass as sturdy materials. Our ceiling looks like metal when it’s actually Styrofoam.
• Re-purposing objects so that they look like other objects..I touched upon this above with the use of plastic lids as armor plating..
• You mentioned break away walls, we have a removable wall too so that we can get the angles we need in such a small locale.

Hope this helps you! Good luck.

Mark

i love you the work you put into your movie is quite sexy i must say

Network Sponsors

Back