SD editing and then later film print or just re-telecine?

MacTo

Hi all,

A while ago, I shot a short film on 16mm, which was transferred onto Beta SP and 3/4. (Digibeta was out of the question for me at that time.) I tried to edit it off-line on the Avid (school facility) then. It's unfortunately no longer an option, and I'm getting my newly acquired FCP ready to finish it on Mac Pro.

My initial plan was to (ideally but expensive) put it back on film. But it seems like it's not the only option anymore nowadays when everybody is going HD. So, I have considered that too - Non-compressed HD.

And these are parts of the system I was hoping to put together. I know these are too fancy but I thought were necessary for non-compressed HD editing.

Capture card - DeckLink HD 4:4:4 PCIe

eSATA card - Sonnet Tempo SATA E4P - 4 port "I" External

Storage - Sonnet Fusion 500P Enclosure - 1.25 TB SATA Array

But then I've started hearing that it's possible but not recommended because up-converting it to HD is not good and I am not sure what to do. I'm so out of film/video post production stuff nowadays, so please bear with me if I lay down the silliest questions ever.

For the record, I do not have any intention of down-converting it to Mini-DV to save money.

My goal with the film when it's finished is to enter student film festivals.

Here we go...

1. Whether or not I should finish it by simply digitizing it 8 bit/10 bit through a Beta SP (rental) deck and output it when it's done onto Mini-DV or VHS to submit.

2. If ever accepted, what is the next step? I mean, putting it back on film or output it on something available rather than film to be screened?

3. If I want to go HD, do I really have to transfer all of it to HD again in order to avoid crappy up-converted footage from Beta SP?

4. If so, is it or is it not really cost-effective in comparison to finishing it SD and putting it back on film?

5. If no more HD option is considered (due to mostly budget issue), I do not need external RAID hard drives along with eSATA cards? In other words, would the 3-extra-RAIDed hard drives do the job in terms of speed? If would, should I get 3 x 400 GB, 3 x 500GB, or 3 x 750GB? Would 3 x 750GB be too slow?

6. How about HD capture cards? If I go SD and just get a SD capture card for now, will prices on HD capture cards drop so that I could go HD in the near future (as in a couple of years) when it is more affordable?

7. How about DVCProHD or HDV? Are they more economical compared to any other options mentioned above, reliable in terms of quality, and the best option to go with (of course, after re-transferring 16mm to either one)?

Thanks a million in advance.

To be honest, you may find the best method is to get the negative cut from the SD edit and then telecine from the cut negative to HD. You'd be spending a lot of money to build a system that can edit uncompressed HD.

In the meantime you could probably send out DVDs of the movie to festivals to get an idea of whether it's worth the cost of producing the HD version for projection; if only one or two want to show it then you're probably better off sticking to the SD version.

Network Sponsors

Back