SCRIPT IDEA

Kim Welch

Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/10/gps.transplant.ap/index.html

I am busy so I don’t have a lot of time to do all the things I want to do. This is one of the many Ideas I don’t have time to work on and might not amount to much anyway. I think you will need about 10 million to make this movie but it is an idea and I thought I would put it out there for anyone that might like it.

I see and hear stories around me all the time that I think would make good movies. I really like watching movies that have an element of truth or more to them. I liked the movie "300" and "The Alpha Dog" and others because they were based on truth. I think it is the fact that not only could something like this happen but something like this did happen. I am more satisfied with stories that have some universal realities. With that in mind I think the storry on CNN at the link below and above might make for a good movie. See the article about the Lady that was tracked down using her cell Phone GPS to find her when a heart became available for her son. They were at a concert and the police walked up on stage and stopped the concert to ask if she was there.

The story starts from the death of the person with the heart. The persons life could be shown and the scene where the parent signed the donor card and a little about them in happy life. FLASH FORWARD - to his body and a stretcher and the doctors realizing he is a donor.... (Find out what happened in the real story if possible http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/10/gps.transplant.ap/index.html)

Then build the character of the boy and the mom with a little normal life stuff and a red hearing conflict about a girl friend that wants to go steady or something like that. Show his illness being diagnosed... Write a scene that shows the moment of despair and anger when they find out that her son has a failing heart and must get a transplant or die. Show the stages of grief and the doubt in ever getting a heart. Show the acceptance on the part of the mom and the boy that life may be over soon so living it to the fullest is the best solution.

They start to enjoy each day as though it could be the last...

Then write some suspense building scenes showing the death and the surgeons taking out the heart of the donor and calling authorities to help find the recipient for the heart Next insuse and urgent search for the recipient. Make sure one of the doctors Points out that there is only a few hour window of time before the heart can't be used. Use Clocks and make sure to really put some emphasis on each advancing minute. Maybe brighter digital displays each time the minute changes correlated with music, lighting, camera movement…

FLASH BACK to the mom and son watching the concert and no one knows here they are.... anyway you can watch and read the news about the real people and get the idea I think.

Let me know when it is done and I will go to the opening.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/10/gps.transplant.ap/index.html

More Brainstorming

More Brainstorming

If someone seriously wants to write this, I've got some suggestions too.

Don't give away the ending. If we get to know a single character more than others, the audience will start to assume that character is going to be the organ donor for the child.

Start a parallel storyline: What if there are some documentary filmmakers working on a film about organ donation. We get to know these characters (two or three of them?) and anyone that they interview could potentially be the donor. Or, the little boy touches their lives and when a donor becomes available, they are the ones who use their resources to GPS track down the mother and child. Or, the filmmakers could go about their business and never meet the mother and child, but there could be an accident where one of them is fatally injured and his/her organ is donated to the child. The remaining filmmakers are in a deep state of grief, but feel compelled to finish the documentary knowing it's what their dead friend would want.

Oh, this is good. I miss brainstorm sessions.

Network Sponsors

Back