Screenwriting Schools

B

brf4n

Are there any schools that are comparable to the New York Film Academy? I know there are schools as good and better, but I was wondering if there are any others that will let you sign up like a JC.

I'd like to try the NYFA, but am a little worried about the location, as it's in the middle of Manhattan (I've always written in dead quiet peace).

If there was somewhere in Iowa that was like the NYFA in the way they let you sign up and start right away, that'd be great.

A lot of screenwriters did not get their start at schools. A couple of books to check out:

Writing for the Screen -- Tom Lazarus
The Devil's Guide To Hollywood -- Joe Eszterhas

But if you're really looking at a screenwriting program, look for any film programs at schools where the professors have an established history of writing movies that get produced and go to the big festivals -- Sundance, TriBeCa, Telluride, Toronto, Berlin, Cannes.

Most of the places where you are going to find the best people are going to be in big cities, though. Columbia, USC, UCLA, NYU probably have the most well-renowned writing programs, but they are all in Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles.

If you are looking for something in "quieter" cities that still have connections to the industry, check out programs at BYU, University of Utah, UT-Austin, Florida State, Full Sail. That's about as close as you are going to get trying to find a balance between the location you want and the quality of the writing departments.

But if you're really looking at a screenwriting program, look for any film programs at schools where the professors have an established history of writing movies that get produced...

I totally agree with this. USC's screenwriting program boasts probably the most well known and/or prolific screenwriter faculty and alumni. They have excellent post-grad resources and many networking opportunities that put young writers in front of both experience writers as well as buyers.

...they have an excellent program. And no, I didn't go there.

Network Sponsors

Back