S.O.W

B

BoOm_ThOuGhT

Right, basically I've had this idea for years (at least four) and I just can't put pen to paper. Well I say pen to paper, also I can't seem to type out what I want. It seems like writer's block, but it can't be. It's like a restriction, a mental restriction preventing me from getting out my story. It's become frustrating now and every time I sit down and type out a few pages worth I give up and then decide I'm not happy with the story. The problem is, I think, the beginning. Once I get the beginning written down I can kick off and continue to type, but I can't. I just can't get the beginning out, and because of that I change my idea of what it should be. I don’t know what to do. Maybe I should just give up the whole story and think of another, but my mind isn’t even letting me do that.

What should I do? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I often think of my stories in very non-linear ways. Once I come up with an idea I really like, I start to think about everything about it. Often, I come up with scenes in the middle first and will just start writing down different ideas for things to go in the middle.
If I have trouble with the begining or ending, then I often will try to get as much of the middle written and go back to the begining or ending last. I'll also, if I feel like I really need a begining written right away, will write a crappy opening, and just stick with it. Then as I'm writing the middle parts, I'll find ways to improve the begining or find a better idea for it entirely.

The most important thing I can say though, is never throw away or discard your work. Even if it's something you think is really bad, you may find later it actually fit really well in the story or you can combine it with another intro idea you have to make it work.

I think I will take up your advice on writing a non final draft opening and continue from there. I get more ideas for the middle parts of the story so I will take up your advice again there and get as much written down for that part and see how it goes from there.

Thanks ralck, much appreciated.

Also, run your current ideas through some scriptwriting software and it will prompt you on some possibilities.

Or post your general ideas here and we can promise not to steal them....and perhaps give you some leads to follow.

Re: S.O.W

BoOm_ThOuGhT said:
Right, basically I've had this idea for years (at least four) and I just can't put pen to paper. Well I say pen to paper, also I can't seem to type out what I want. It seems like writer's block, but it can't be. It's like a restriction, a mental restriction preventing me from getting out my story. It's become frustrating now and every time I sit down and type out a few pages worth I give up and then decide I'm not happy with the story. The problem is, I think, the beginning. Once I get the beginning written down I can kick off and continue to type, but I can't. I just can't get the beginning out, and because of that I change my idea of what it should be. I don’t know what to do. Maybe I should just give up the whole story and think of another, but my mind isn’t even letting me do that.

What should I do? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Don't listen to anything those other guys told you. They way you'll be able to do this is , you'll have to get away from everyone drive out a distance until youe satisfied , get a motel room and work on your story. If you can't do that , go somewhere you used to go when you we're a kid or something like that get a tablet and handwrite your script. Whatever way you can.

<< Don't listen to anything those other guys told you.

What, director15? Like nothing anyone else said makes sense, but changing a writer's physical location is the magic bullet? Please.

There are lots of ways to relieve writer's block, and no one method works every time for everyone.

pusser said:
<< Don't listen to anything those other guys told you.

What, director15? Like nothing anyone else said makes sense, but changing a writer's physical location is the magic bullet? Please.

There are lots of ways to relieve writer's block, and no one method works every time for everyone.

Thats something that any other writer would tell you. And as far as running your ideas through software. please. is that really the magic bullet. don't be ignorant ad dot that

<< And as far as running your ideas through software. please.

So you're saying that that doesn't work?

<< is that really the magic bullet.

If you'll notice my original post, I said "And." That implies additional options. Not a magic bullet. Your post said ignor what others said and change locations. You implied that was the solution. That's the nature of a "magic bullet"---a single solution.

<< don't be ignorant ad dot that

What language is that??? BTW, I'm yet to be shown wrong. Your modus operandi (in THIS thread, at least) seems to belittle what others suggest and elevate your own to superior status. THAT's ignorance!

I'd thought about reacting to your request for responses to your zombie script....but I don't think you'd welcome comments from someone as ignorant as I am.

Sheesh.

Director15,

I feel, based on your comment, that you deserved the flame from pusser as well as this flame from me. I think your comment was arrogant, pompous, and downright stupid.

The original poster asked for help to get over his writer's block. He asked what we do to try and get over it and what we do to feel we write the best. That is why I put in my post about what I do and what helps me. I never said it was the best thing for him to try, nor that it would work for him as it does for me. I simply suggested it. My intent was not to give the poster a sure-fire way of fixing his problem, but give him some things to think about and try so that he might be able to more easily find what works for him.

I feel pusser's original post was also similar in intent and nature. Based on my interpretation of his post, he was also trying to help the poster.

Now I read your post, and feel that you were trying to promote your 'wisdom' rather than help the poster. You say he should not listen to anyone else to try and make your suggestions sound better. Then you go on to suggest a few different methods which, based on my interpretation of your post, seemed like you tried to make it seem like your own original ideas. You make it sound like your suggestion is the only thing that will work. Have you ever thought that some people work better when they are around people?

Everyone is different and works best in their own ways. I am appalled that you would say what you did. Film is such a flexible, unique, and amazing art form based on the fact that you can do so many different and wonderful things. There is no one way to do something in film and there is no right way or wrong way. There is only the creative way. If we as filmmakers choose to embrace the creative way and share ideas to help each other, than the art form will flourish and will increase in quality whether it is a home video or multi-million dollar Hollywood film.

But you have shown me that you are closed minded and only think your way is the best. Maybe this is your working style, but I personally think this will show in the quality of your films.

And now I will be contacting a moderator to close this thread. Because of our flames against each other here (yes, I admit I am wrong in writing this flame, but I want to share my views with the forum) this thread has deviated from the original topic which the poster asked for help with. For that, I apologize to BoOm_ThOuGhT. This is not fair to you and I regret this came to flames like this. When flame wars start, it decreases the quality of forums, so by closing this thread, we can keep the quality of this forum high so that people respect each other and their views.

Please understand, director15, that my intent is not to say your opinion is wrong (I feel any opinion deserves to be spoken/written). I am simply saying that I felt it was wrong and crude to try and tell the original poster that other views are wrong. And now I laugh because I believe you never meant to offend and because nothing should be taken too seriously.

Again, I want to say I am sorry to BoOm_ThOuGhT.

I don't think there's any reason to close the thread. The original poster can probably benefit from additional advice from others.

I agree, pusser, as long as it can get back on topic.

To try and do so, I'll suggest another idea I just thought of that I don't think was suggested yet:

You could also try changing your medium. What I mean is, if you are writing on paper, try writing on a computer and see if that helps or vice versa. Or you could do something as simple as switching from pencil to pen (and obviously vice versa). Might just be enough to get the creative juices flowing.

If your interested in trying writing on a computer, check out a program called Celtx. It's a freeware open source program that helps you organize your thoughts, format based on standards, and more.

I'd agree that this seems a perplexing problem, and frankly, one that likely needs a collaborator. BoOm, please don't think that maintaining the integrity and copyright on your story means keeping it a complete secret. If you've got an idea (an idea can't be copywritten---only the unique depiction of that idea can be), toss it out here and let us give you some options. Heck, give us a VARIATION on your idea and let us brainstorm with you---perhaps those ideas can then be applied to your specific beginning. We'd welcome the opportunity....and won't charge you a dime....nor will we take your beginning and write our own scripts. In the film business, you can't do it all on your own.

D'oh! I can't believe I mixed up write/right. You are correct, Sir!

An idea can be expressed uniquely in visual symbols on paper, but it cannot be protected by law as a concept no once ever has or ever could have on their own.

ralck said:
Director15,

I feel, based on your comment, that you deserved the flame from pusser as well as this flame from me. I think your comment was arrogant, pompous, and downright stupid.

The original poster asked for help to get over his writer's block. He asked what we do to try and get over it and what we do to feel we write the best. That is why I put in my post about what I do and what helps me. I never said it was the best thing for him to try, nor that it would work for him as it does for me. I simply suggested it. My intent was not to give the poster a sure-fire way of fixing his problem, but give him some things to think about and try so that he might be able to more easily find what works for him.

I feel pusser's original post was also similar in intent and nature. Based on my interpretation of his post, he was also trying to help the poster.

Now I read your post, and feel that you were trying to promote your 'wisdom' rather than help the poster. You say he should not listen to anyone else to try and make your suggestions sound better. Then you go on to suggest a few different methods which, based on my interpretation of your post, seemed like you tried to make it seem like your own original ideas. You make it sound like your suggestion is the only thing that will work. Have you ever thought that some people work better when they are around people?

Everyone is different and works best in their own ways. I am appalled that you would say what you did. Film is such a flexible, unique, and amazing art form based on the fact that you can do so many different and wonderful things. There is no one way to do something in film and there is no right way or wrong way. There is only the creative way. If we as filmmakers choose to embrace the creative way and share ideas to help each other, than the art form will flourish and will increase in quality whether it is a home video or multi-million dollar Hollywood film.

But you have shown me that you are closed minded and only think your way is the best. Maybe this is your working style, but I personally think this will show in the quality of your films.

And now I will be contacting a moderator to close this thread. Because of our flames against each other here (yes, I admit I am wrong in writing this flame, but I want to share my views with the forum) this thread has deviated from the original topic which the poster asked for help with. For that, I apologize to BoOm_ThOuGhT. This is not fair to you and I regret this came to flames like this. When flame wars start, it decreases the quality of forums, so by closing this thread, we can keep the quality of this forum high so that people respect each other and their views.

Please understand, director15, that my intent is not to say your opinion is wrong (I feel any opinion deserves to be spoken/written). I am simply saying that I felt it was wrong and crude to try and tell the original poster that other views are wrong. And now I laugh because I believe you never meant to offend and because nothing should be taken too seriously.

Again, I want to say I am sorry to BoOm_ThOuGhT.

I think you guys posted up something ignorant so i'll have the last laugh. First of all no matter how many other options I had I would definitely not take someones advice who told me to run it through computer software. As far as the , "ad dot" , thing I was in a hurry , cause I had better things to do like go write my film.

Director15, using message/mind-mapping style software is SOP. Anyone serious about screenwriting invests in and uses such tools. Sounds like you don't know anyone working "in the business."

In fact I do know people in the business. In fact I use celtx screenwriting software my self. This is not something that you run your idea through though. As far as you saying I don't know anyone in the business , we all , including me , need to be more aware and careful of what we say on here , because none of us really know who their talking too. For all you know I could be Oliver Stone. For all I know you could be Francis Coppola.

Director15, you're right, and I should have been more specific about the software option. There are lots of idea-creation/expansion and creative-writing software options, some of which are designed as scripting tools. You're right that not all scriptwriting programs support idea mapping...most don't.

BTW, I'm not Francis Ford Coppola, but I've enjoyed his wines.

Director15, if you have such important things to do, why are you wasting time flaming on forums then?
And I never said Celtx was software you run your ideas through. I said it was for organizing thoughts and writing to standards. There is a big difference there, so don't try to belittle or mock us.

Back on track, I had one other idea. If your still having trouble Boom, you could try getting together with a few of your friends and actually improving some of the scenes you want to write. Let them know things like the mood of the scene, the objective of the scene, etc and let them essentially write the dialogue and actions of the characters for you. Just don't forget to either use a tape recorder to capture the dialogue or maybe even just video tape it.

Hope this helps, Boom.

ralck said:
Director15, if you have such important things to do, why are you wasting time flaming on forums then?
And I never said Celtx was software you run your ideas through. I said it was for organizing thoughts and writing to standards. There is a big difference there, so don't try to belittle or mock us.

Back on track, I had one other idea. If your still having trouble Boom, you could try getting together with a few of your friends and actually improving some of the scenes you want to write. Let them know things like the mood of the scene, the objective of the scene, etc and let them essentially write the dialogue and actions of the characters for you. Just don't forget to either use a tape recorder to capture the dialogue or maybe even just video tape it.

Hope this helps, Boom.

O.k. first of all I don't want to argue with people I don't even know who they are , but Ralk if you have important things to do why are you on here? like I said I should have been more careful about what I said at first. Boom I wish you the best of luck with your screenplay. And Ralk I wish you the best of luck too. Your idea about the tape recorder and videotap I like.

Boom I have another suggestion for you go , you don' have to leave your house , go in your office or wherever get everybody else and everything else off your mind and make a blank screen for yourself and watch your film. Write down the shots and the cuts you see. Even draw them out if you'd like sorta like a story board then write them out it'll come to you fast this way. I hope this helps.

Boom and Ralk the best of luck.

Ralk and Boom I was a little crude to both of you so I'm sorry for that , but we all need to be aware of what we say on here.[/i]

Network Sponsors

Back