Roy H. Wagner, ASC

FullSaileee

Hey does anyone know when is this workshop going to be held i know its TBA but does any one have any idea, also are their any plans of this happening in florida ? I am really interested in going only if i can get a confirm date.

Yes, I am in Miami and also interested in going but I am not sure he is going to be in the florida area.

I assume you are in Orlando? How do you like full sail?

Corey

RE:

RE:

Well Filmunited I am in Miami as well maybe we should get together and do some filming or something...

Thank you for replying Mr. Wagner it would be great if you would do a seminars in Florida if you are really interested maybe we can set something up here in Florida my over all dream is to one day be an asc member just like you I have really enjoyed your work and I think its very motivational to any amateur and professional in this large field of cinematography.

Please do contact me

I know you must be a very busy person but if you get a chance and time and are interested in doing a seminar here in Florida please contact me.
i am sure i can get a lot of people to come here in Florida :)

Hi there Mr. Wagner and welcome to the boards. It's really awesome of you to take time for the forums here and for all the workshops. I've been talking with Kim a bunch about a possible Chicago show, checking out possible locations and whatnot. Our tourism bureau here has been really helpful and I can't wait until we are in a position where I can help out more to bring your seminar here. Sometimes it seems like we're "stuck" in the middle here, having half the country on either side of us and NY or LA several states away. I especially get that feeling when I read up on upcoming films slotted for limited release in NY/LA that I really want to see. So I'm pretty pumped about these workshops and representing the hometown. One thing I would like to ask you is about film school itself. I am heading into my Sophmore year at a local community college and ever since I put together 2 season videos for my cross country team in high school I have really wanted to pursue film as a career. I was surprised how little there is on the internet with regard to film school reviews and 3rd party information, but I was able to track down a book called Film School: Confidential which has been a real interesting read. One thing suggested was getting a general education for a Bachelor's degree and waiting until grad school for a film education. I know there are two opposing thoughts out there: One being that you should dive 100% into film education and the other being that your best way to become a filmmaker is to just go out and do it. So when that crossroad comes after next year at the comm. college, I am interested in what someone like you who has succeded in the industry thinks. Do I get myself familiar with the basics quickly like say at New York Film Academy and then devote my time to my own work, or commit to several years at an undergrad or graduate film program? I know thats the million dollar question but I figured I might as well post it. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you in person at one of your seminars and a whole lot of cool things here at the site.

-Dan Giese
jedi21@wideopenwest.com

Mr. Wagner, thank you for taking a helpful attitude toward those still trying to break onto the filmmaking scene. I just wanted to let you know that if you are able to make a visit to south Florida, I know many young and eager cinematographers and directors alike that would love to hear what you have to say.

I believe that now is both an exciting and a worrisome time to go into cinematography for many young people, as it seems uncertain exactly when digital will make the celluloid obsolete. I believe that, as you gotten at, that the art, not the technology, is the more important aspect of the craft. However it takes years to gain a true feeling for the film, really understanding how to get what you want out of a different film stocks, lenses, cameras, etc... to learn how to manipulate the light and the lens to get the exact negative you want... you know, to learn the stuff they can't really teach in any book, only through experience. It is difficult to devote yourself to this process, however, knowing that by the time you gain some sort of mastery over it, it may be obsolete. Digital offers many exciting opportunities, but do you think there will always be a need for the traditional and beautiful AgCl exposure we are used to?

As a young filmmaker, the names you read month after month in American Cinematographer take on a larger than life feeling. It's an honor that you would take your time to help those of us eager to learn.

Corey Eisenstein
c.eisenstein@umiami.edu

New Forum

New Forum

We decided to make a forum for Roy. not sure exactly what topic or what to calls it because he covers so much ground so we just called it the The Roy Wagner, ASC forum. This way he can get everything in one place. Please feel free to ask him anything you wish. He is a great person and is very knowledgeable. And, he won't bite your head off for asking anything.

Yours Truly
Kim

Network Sponsors

Back