Rogue One - 70mm Print

alanwaston

Went to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia over the weekend to see the 70mm print of Rogue One... and it really looked awful. The print was dark and flat. It lacked contrast, the colors lacked saturation, and the blacks were milky, to name a few things. Since the movie came out in December, is the print just worn at this point? Is there an issue with their projection system? I know Rogue One was shot anamorphically on the Alexa 65, so did this just not hold up well when transferred to film? I saw the digital IMAX version back in December, which, when compared to the 70mm print, looked great.

The IMAX at the Franklin Institute is also a dome theater, which perhaps also wasn't the best screen to watch this on, although for some of the scenes with a lot of movement, especially flying, you did feel as if you were moving. However, it also seemed like maybe the movie was being projected a little larger than it should have for its method of capture. Based on the poor viewing experience, I doubt I'd go back here to see another theatrical release. The Franklin Institute also played the 70mm print of The Force Awakens, which the IMAX at 68th Street in NYC didn't play. Since the 70mm prints of Star Wars movies seem to be going to The Franklin Institute, hopefully whatever happened with Rogue One was just a fluke.

Network Sponsors

Back