bosco7

I'm filming in a restaurant this weekend--most of my shots consist of two people sitting across from each other at a white, semicircular booth. I've got standard masters and A/B shots in mind. Anybody got any good lighting tips on how to light a funny, sort of quirky conversation between two friends? (I've got a 24x24 softbox and a large 5-in-1 reflector.)

other lighting

other lighting

this is in a real restaurant? what other lighting sources are there? would you happen to have photos of the location? I am not the artistic cinematographer like some of the guys here but i can make some suggestions. more information would help.

* is the film a comedy?
* can you paste some or all of the script here. are you going to move the camera or push in or out?
*are there any story "turning points" or emotional beat type things going on in the scene?
*what is your lighting and look for the film leading up to this scene? ( is there a strategy of getting brighter or darker with the story?
*Does the sequence or scene start with them seated or do we see them walking in?
* is it night or day outside?
*can you give me some kind of idea about the two characters relationship and are you doing any kind of color enhancement to make a character warm or cool?
*what kind of film or camera are you using?

Disclaimer - i am not the super lighting guy like some of the members here like David, Christopher, Kevin, Chris... are but i can try to help. For me i need to know more to make a good suggestion. I need to know what we are doing in the story. I am learning and certainly not a cinematographer. if i were to direct or produce or be put a position to have to shoot this i would hire or consult immediately with one of the ASC members or those i know that are achieving at that level.

Last edited:
Yes, you need to be specific -- i.e. what do you want it to look like? What makes sense for the location and time of day? What lighting equipment will you have? etc.

Network Sponsors

Back